Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Should Canonical make KDE it's default desktop environment?

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    c2tarun, That's the server edition.
    Hmm... what is the difference between a server edition and desktop edition (apart from DEs) Also installing DE on server edition will give same result as a distribution or will show some performance degradation.

Beans

Ubuntu Server edition is pretty much a full Ubuntu install minus the Desktop. Both are configured pretty much the same but the Server Edition comes with more Network and Management tools.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

No thanks, looks too much like Windows. If you want KDE there is always Kubuntu. Moreover I use a lot gnome-apps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    Well I've had my fair share of recent affairs with different desktop environments. I always try to use everything equally so I can fix any issue in any DE that comes up, which was largely what fueled my tinkering here. I've been using Unity in 13.04, Gnome shell 3.6, and KDE 4.10 pretty extensively. To touch base on something, earlier on there was this talk about KDE having so many features almost as if it's a bad thing. I tried really hard to understand ....
    Let's not lose sight of one important thing. Desktop environments and types of beer are actually quite similar. Who cares what you're drinking -- we're all here having a good time.
    Very nicely written. An I agree that Unity DE is kind of addictive. I tried XFCE4, KDE 4.10 and they both are great. But after a week or so, I really wan't to fall back to Unity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    No thanks, looks too much like Windows.
    That is kind of the goal of KDE though, to be easily recognized by a windows user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I just took my KDE panel and stuck it on the left edge a la Unity. Presto! I still like having the window close and minimize boxes on the upper right corner, and I created a new short panel on the bottom right corner for the clock display.

Doesn't look like Windows, and it works the way I want it. That's the good thing about KDE, it might have "Windows-ish" defaults, but you can tweak it just about any way you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Unity is not mature enough for most newbies. KDE is not only mature but full of settings an old pro can change to suite any desired configuration. This would alow Canonical to make a Unity like look in KDE, while still being newbie(aka - Thinks MS Windows is part of there computer, and doesn't know what a OS is.) friendly.
    But there's nothing that's going to change Canonical's "mind". They wanted to reinvent the wheel in there image. It's not a bad wheel, but it is different, young, and NOT newbe friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unity certainly IS newbie friendly...in fact, it is extremely SIMPLE to use...when i install it for someone who wants to get away from windows, i just tell him: you know the taskbar you have on the bottom on windows? you know how you add your favorites on there for quick access...well, this is just like that....that unity bar on the left "auto hides" when you don't need it and just add all your favorites and frequently used applications on to the dock bar...when you want them you just click once and there it is!...and for apps you don't use frequently, just start typing the name in this search bar on top (dash) and when you see it, click it, and there you go!

Where's the stuff on top of the window???...just put your mouse on the top left area...there it is!

A 5 year old could use unity

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567