Thread: How to backup operative system ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Question How to backup operative system ?

Hi .
    12.04 running beautifully. How to back it up to a DVD, including the tweaks and preferences, browser, languages; keyboards choices, and 'bookmarks' in Firefox.

No data files, pictures, documents, media, anything else is needed. Just the operative system 'as is' saved into a DVD to be able to restore to a new hard drive that I will install.
    The DVD backup should be live? or restorable? or whatever? allows to resume the same smooth and great operation Ubuntu gives me now.

At Applications > System tools > Administration or Preferences; there is no Backup option. Is it hiding somewhere else ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to backup operative system ?

you can create an exact image of the disk. not sure if it will fit on DVD though. use clonezila or redobackup to do that.

you can make your own version of the operating system that you can install elsewhere. use remastersys for that.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Re: How to backup operative system ?

Howdy,

Making a total system backup is generally a total waste of time - multiple reasons for that. You should only backup your data.

You could make a backup of your whole home directory including the hidden files that hold the desktop settings, but that also tends to cause more problems than it is worth.