Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Call for support: Ask Electronic Arts to bring Origin and their games to Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Call for support: Ask Electronic Arts to bring Origin and their games to Linux.

They must not be a very good gaming company for so many people to dislike them. I've had fair encounters with them in the past, but then again modern EA games aren't exactly my cup of tea any more and thus I don't buy from them any longer, so that could be it. However, I'd like to offer my support either way for those who want this. There were two contacts to reach listed, which should I contact...?

Beans

Re: Call for support: Ask Electronic Arts to bring Origin and their games to Linux.

After what EA has done to Sim City I don't plan on buying any of their games anytime soon. So if they don't want to support Linux that's fine by me.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Many people don't like Electronic Arts but anyway it's a one of biggest game publishers on the world. Them community reach dozens millions players.. what matters is your opinion here?

Of course, can you dislike EA, but we've no choice for decisions. A few games for Linux produced/released by EA would be really great thing in terms of Ubuntu's marketing/PR.
    Just think.. Crysis 3/FIFA official for Linux and Mac. Are you still opposed?
    Yet another blog about Linux Games..- news, ratings, tutorials and competitions

Beans

Origin To Ubuntu?

Hey Guys i'm new here so just one simple question, is Origin by EA coming to Ubuntu any time soon? plz answer
    Last edited by varunendra; March 13th, 2013 at 07:46 AM. Reason: please use default fonts unless necessary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Origin To Ubuntu?

you would have to ask EA.

Probably not though...
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Call for support: Ask Electronic Arts to bring Origin and their games to Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by mentorious View Post
    Are you still opposed?
    I am.

I'd rather see more publishers/devs get to making Linux versions of their games for Steam than anything by EA. By a LONG way.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

We haven't heard anything yet. You might be interested at looking through this thread, though. If something changes, I'm pretty sure this would be the thread that would first have info on it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2122336&page=3

Beans
    Distro

I don't think EA has any plans beyond their main focus of Windows at the moment.

Normally I'd suggest using Wine/PlayOnLinux, but a recent update to Origin makes it pointless. I know because I have Battlefield 3 on Origin. You can download Origin and install it in Wine no problem.

The problem arises when you want to download a game. Origin makes sure that if you're not running in Windows, you're not allowed to download the game. First was the error "Origin does not support this OS". Now the new error is "Windows prevented the application from creating a download directory. Please accept the UAC prompt to begin downloading this game."

Seems to me like EA is purposefully making anti-Wine code in Origin. The picture of BF3 in WineAppDB is mine, and it's the furthest I've managed. That was through a Retail DVD of the game. I've gone through Wine versions 1.2 up to current versions, even tried doing some self-compiled versions of Wine (take a really long time...), and it won't work.

TL;DR: Don't expect EA to notice us or care anytime soon. With the horrible Sim City fiasco, we should be glad for that as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Threads merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No thank you. Origin is awful and EA is a pest.

SimCity is a good example on why EA needs to just go bankrupt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast