Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

amd64bit displays weird user name

Just did an install of the daily build on:

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-System-Product-Name:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690 Host Bridge
    00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Graphics Port 0)
    00:07.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS690 PCI to PCI Bridge (PCI Express Port 3)
    00:12.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA
    00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI0)
    00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI1)
    00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI2)
    00:13.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI3)
    00:13.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB (OHCI4)
    00:13.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 USB Controller (EHCI)
    00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 14)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 IDE
    00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB600 PCI to LPC Bridge
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce G210] (rev a2)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
    03:06.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT86C100A [Rhine] (rev 06)
    ventrical@ventrical-System-Product-Name:~$
    and got that funny product name. Does that mean Ubuntu now owns me !? lol
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: amd64bit displays weird user name

Did you file a bug report?

I can't understand why people leave the default host name, when doing an install, changing the host name to reflect what the install is, is a great way to differentiate between installs, when you have multiples, or even to tell you what system you are using, and it usually takes up a lot less room on the command line. We lobbied hard to have this ability, and it's kind of disappointing to see people don't use it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Did you file a bug report?

I can't understand why people leave the default host name, when doing an install, changing the host name to reflect what the install is, is a great way to differentiate between installs, when you have multiples, or even to tell you what system you are using, and it usually takes up a lot less room on the command line. We lobbied hard to have this ability, and it's kind of disappointing to see people don't use it.

This is a *new* one for me. First time I ever saw it. (There are a lot of firsts these days). Usually during install it gets the Mobo information from BIOS and assigns that name and code, which is perfectly ok for me and how I differentiate between computers. This time , however, it seems that this option was not available so I really do not follow your thread.

ahhh... nevertheless.. I will file a bug on this.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro

I filed the bug against Ubiquity but it is reported that 'ubiquity is not installed' so am I to assume that I have to file this bug from the live USB?

Beans
    Distro

SOLVED

Easier fix is to just edit the hosts and hostnames files.

ventrical@ventrical-Mir-WaylandStation:~$