Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Broadcom BCM4311: Network works but fails

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Broadcom BCM4311: Network works but fails

Thank You my sir! I was away for a few days dealing with the Estonian local WorldSkills 2013 and where I used their computers. Coming back home everything seems to be just fine, even transmissin is working well. Now it's time to start troubleshooting why software updater crashes every singel time I use it.

But really, Thank You for helping!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Estonian local WorldSkills 2013
    Awesome!
    Now it's time to start troubleshooting why software updater crashes every singel time I use it.
    Is it Updater, Synaptic, apt-get from the terminal or all three?
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

Updater alone. Might have something to do with software center not doing anything when I click install (but still making the button inactive). It's total mystery for me that came with whole network problems as such. Still I think it might have something to do with some files in "to be updated" list. Now when theres oly 14 i can try by trial and error.

Beans
    Distro

Is Synaptic installed? Can you open it, mark all upgrades, click Apply and get them updated that way? We need to figure out if it's a problem with your software sources or the updater itself. Here is what my software sources look like and what I recommend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro

As said it in the first post, synaptic is the only thing that seems to work quite perfectly in this computer. But what really get's me confused is that both updater and software center stopped working at the same time. So it shouldn't be purely updaters software issue it has to be something connecting them both. Only thing besides sopurces that comes to ming is network again.

Beans
    Distro

I suggest opening Synaptic and re-installing update-manager and update-manager-core. Then try again. If Synaptic works, then apt sources seems intact.

Beans
    Distro

So, did reinstall and the problems are still here. Update manager changed to software updater and now when hanging (stops working but doesn't believe itself to be crashed) doesn't give any errors.

Update manager/software updater says every time I start it "You've stopped checking for updates, updates are available from last check" witch is strange because I haven't stopped anything.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LoopTown View Post
    So, did reinstall and the problems are still here. Update manager changed to software updater and now when hanging (stops working but doesn't believe itself to be crashed) doesn't give any errors.

Update manager/software updater says every time I start it "You've stopped checking for updates, updates are available from last check" witch is strange because I haven't stopped anything.
    We're pretty far outside my area of expertise. I suggest you ask over on General Help: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331

You may get some clues running Update Manager from the terminal:
    Code:
    sudo update-manager
    When I run it, there are no errors, warnings, smoke or sparks.

Beans
    Distro

I'll move myself over to general then - but big thanks to You! I can now at least use my computer.

Thank You!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123