Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Who wants to test MIR?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Who wants to test MIR?

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    That would definitely be a good outcome. Hopefully in the end the Linux world will end up with one standard replacement for X. If Mir speeds that process along, that's a good thing.
    You mean like how there's a standard desktop?

The real problem with Wayland is they have too many X developers working on it.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    You mean like how there's a standard desktop?

The real problem with Wayland is they have too many X developers working on it.
    I mean like how right now there's a standard display server. I'd prefer not to have additional fragmentation when there's no benefit to it. In the case of desktops, people have their preferences so at least in that way it's good that there are multiple options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by not found View Post
    Storm in a tea cup... brings out the flavour.
    Got another proverb for ya regarding the situation Mir, Unity, Ubuntu TV, Ubuntu for Android (you can continue)

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Beans

I hope that Canonical is not spending 100s of 1000s of $$ without a good outcome. If Mir fails then...I will be annoyed.

Did I mention that in my native language, Mir means death.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuality314 View Post
    I hope that Canonical is not spending 100s of 1000s of $$ without a good outcome. If Mir fails then...I will be annoyed.
    Canonical is indeed going to spend lots of money on their envisioned system, of which Mir is just one piece. And that's because Ubuntu has already failed.

It's not a failure for users, it didn't become the most popular distro for no reason, but it has failed to be a profitable investment for Canonical.

What's coming is not Ubuntu as we know it, and contributing to the Linux ecosystem is not a priority, if it ever was, Canonical being profitable is.

To achieve that Ubuntu has given it's back to the Linux ecosystem's plans, and in response KDE, Gnome, and Enlightenment have their given back to Ubuntu's plans too, but although these moves might have surprised many of us, that was hardly unexpected for Canonical, they did expect it and they have been developing the most basic programs for their new system too (calculator, rss reader...).

The new Ubuntu will be Linux as Android or Tizen are Linux, not as Debian or Fedora are.

And while I'm already waving good bye to the Ubuntu I knew and liked for my PC, I hope they manage to make a dent in a market where currently Android is the least bad option.

But making Debian more user friendly and writing a whole mobile OS are different beasts, and if we leave brand recognition aside, there are much better positioned alternatives.
    Last edited by tartalo; March 15th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122