Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wants to test MIR?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Who wants to test MIR?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    TTY7 is usually your X session, so just hit CTRL+ALT+F7.

Thanks - learning all the time!
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I know that new toys enjoy kids , but Mir is far from usable; specially when such kind of error is made:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1152625

so if you have some experience to find/fix errors its fine; otherwise you only are loosing your time. Wait & see a few months later.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    But in this context ...It is.
    Yeah, the phones; Those cannot work with wayland; True that/You said it.

Only samsung is releasing many tizen phones/models this year itself (mind you, samsung; the current industry leader, not a company that will 'hopefully enter the mobile market in the future'). And tizen comes with wayland.

So what is it really that samsung did not mind/understand but the great canonical was able to identify/rectify?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    I know that new toys enjoy kids , but Mir is far from usable; specially when such kind of error is made:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/mir/+bug/1152625

so if you have some experience to find/fix errors its fine; otherwise you only are loosing your time. Wait & see a few months later.
    New toys enjoy kids or kids enjoy new toys...
    I couldn't make my self not to joke on this... Sorry...
    Not much time is spent in just having Mir installed and watching what is happening... Much more time is spent about some other stuff...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    Only samsung is releasing many tizen phones/models this year itself (mind you, samsung; the current industry leader, not a company that will 'hopefully enter the mobile market in the future'). And tizen comes with wayland.

So what is it really that samsung did not mind/understand but the great canonical was able to identify/rectify?
    Interesting argument. This is from Tizen website.

Now, this made me thinking:
    "Hey there fellow Intel, Samsung, Tizen and Wayland developers. You guys not doing it right. So.....surprise! This is Ubuntu Touch and....Mir! Walla!"

Beans

I think this polarizations between users is not needed ATM. In the end Linux world can still have 3 display servers and probably Mir and Wayland based display servers will share graphic drivers that are available FOSS and blobs. It really isn't that much different from what we have now with Xorg.

The thing i expect Weston and Mir will bring is easier development process for developers and better driver situation on pair with Microsoft OS. If this happens then probably all win.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMyMTI

This clearly indicates changes are coming and probably driver situation will change on Linux soon. I don't know if it will be ideal solution and probably we will still have to use blobs when it will make sense to use the blob but this will not be too different from what we have now?

To me this latest tensions show only one thing and that is interest in Linux as "graphic station" has grown exponentially and games and CAD and drivers and everything else tightly related only to Microsoft Windows well it's like everybody started thinking why the heck didn't we support Linux yesterday already?

The biggest problem with Mir is probably much people got offended Canonical didn't tell up front what they where doing and that is it. One part can be forgivable and that is sometimes you have an idea and you can't just start pushing it you have to explore it by yourself to see if it could work.

The other part (personal feelings of many folks involved) that where left out in the dark well that is a bit more hard and here Canonical did failed and there is no point in arguing otherwise and it didn’t happened for the first time. In the future Canonical should act bit more wisely/transparent/upfront on this matter.

All things aside i am looking forward to using Mir and Weston on Ubuntu for sure and to see the competition! It's still FOSS and i don't see the problem here.
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 8th, 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

the reason, I believe, this is generating so much drama is that this is no mere desktop environment...

there can be a million and one desktop environments and everyone is happy, but since the display manager is such a critical part of the system to have more than one can create a huge burden for developers/drivers/etc..

correct this if I'm wrong but are not the linux kernel and xorg display server the only things common to all linux distributions?

it seemed to me that the unspoken gospel was that xorg would die and wayland would take it's place... then you'd have wayland on all distributions like you have xorg now.

This would mean a better panorama for drivers/developers etc...

As an intel gfx user I was actually looking forward for wayland since I'm still hoping to get even 70% of the performance in intel that I get in windows.

Beans

the reason, I believe, this is generating so much drama is that this is no mere desktop environment...
    No some thoughts are coming from folk from Ubuntu community that probably didn't decide to speak their mind just because of Mir but small bit here and there in the past... The majority expressing negative opinion about Ubuntu are users that don't use Ubuntu or even Linux it's their moment now and Canonical did helped a bit on that but the dust will settle for sure.

it seemed to me that the unspoken gospel was that xorg would die and wayland would take it's place... then you'd have wayland on all distributions like you have xorg now.
    Yes i hoped it would went this smooth but guess it didn't happen. Wayland is "just" an protocol and the reality is i expected more then one (Weston) implementation will surface and if Mir would still use Wayland protocol i still don't know if it would pleased everybody. But there really isn't any big obstacle in the end for one solution prevails in few years time more important thing is the driver situation has to come on pair or be better then what Microsoft Windows offers.

As an intel gfx user I was actually looking forward for wayland since I'm still hoping to get even 70% of the performance in intel that I get in windows.
    I am quite happy with my Intel boxes and don't care if any other OS does it slightly better or worse. It's decent and FOSS and i salute Intel for making it happen and Intel GPU hardware really isn't an issue for Linux (desktop).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    @ grahammechanical

As I see it, the motivation from Canonical is an attempt to control.
    First the desktop (Unity) and now the display manager MIR
    It has nothing to do with the license but, as I see it, a lot to do with control.

What will happen to all other buntu's now ? Will they have to use MIR too ?
    That was in my opinion always the case and as some people wrote that wayland got not more steam is that there is at the moment no really need for the X.org developers to concentrate all developer work on Wayland. Why - X works and is standard on all linux distributions, bsds and commercial UNIX systems (AIX, Solaris). Unity got never really used outsite of Ubunut's universe and with this step Canonical is trying to force ubuntu flavors to use MIR in the future. It may work but at the moment it looks like they will fail as only Canonical is arguing it is superior to Wayland/Weston which got proofen as wrong as the published code is not really useful at the moment. Looking at the phones it seems that their is much more interest of heavyẃeights like Samsung to go the Wayland root and as Intel, RedHat and other big tech companies are providing developers for Wayland (or Xorg) I do not know what Canonical can achieve with less developers.
    Last edited by Gyokuro; March 8th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    Now, this made me thinking:
    "Hey there fellow Intel, Samsung, Tizen and Wayland developers. You guys not doing it right. So.....surprise! This is Ubuntu Touch and....Mir! Walla!"
    Pardonne moi, but it seems like Mark S. has done your thinking

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast