Thread: Problems with automatic software update

Beans

Exclamation Problems with automatic software update

I just installed Ubuntu 12.10 (64bit) to my laptop. The first thing I did was to run automatic update after it reported I had 293 updates to install. It downloaded all the packages in about 30 minutes but during the first couple of minutes of the actual installation the system suddenly was shat down. It wasn't reboot, it was complete shut down. After turning my computer back on I tried to open Ubuntu software center but got an error popup:

"Items cannot be installed or removed until the package catalog is repaired. Do you want to repair it now?" -> cancel/repair

I clicked repair and after a while I got an error dialog showing lots of dependency errors.

As it is I cannot use the package manager anymore. How can I fix this problem? Do I need to reinstall Ubuntu? What if something like this happens on a system that cannot be easily formatted/reinstalled? There must be a way to deal with installer errors like this...

Only thing I was doing while auto updater was running was that I had 2 terminal windows open, one showing top and one showing ping www.google.com to check connection status. I was resizing the auto-update-window with the details view turned on when computer decided to shut down.

Edit:

I have ran Ubuntu on multiple computers before and this was the first time I ran against problems using auto-update.
    Not sure if this is the right forum, perhaps installation/upgrade would have been better?

Update:

I tried:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -f install

And ran into dependency errors that canceled the process
    Last edited by rounder8; March 12th, 2013 at 07:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problems with automatic software update

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

--configure -a is a good call. You can also try:

Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Apt-get #3

Can you post the errors?

How bout posting the output of:

Code:
    cat -n /etc/apt/sources.list
    and

Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

Beans

Thanks for the answer guys!

I'm not sure whether the proposed solution would have worked or not but I went ahead and reinstalled Ubuntu and this time auto-update finished successfully.

Beans

I personally don't prefer auto-update
    try manually open terminal
    sudo -s
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y
    apt-get dist-upgrade (optional)
    apt-get autoremove && apt-get autoclean -y

the terminal is much faster and uses less resources, also if you dont use the -y it will ask before doing installs and give you a chance to review what will happen and what will be done

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans