Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethernet port not registering

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ethernet port not registering

My suggestion? Installing the -25 kernel? I thought alx was working; or was that the compiled version? Did the install go without error or warning? Any clues in dmesg?
    Code:
    dmesg | grep -i -e warn -e error
    Do you think reinstalling from scratch would be worth a try?
    Why??

Network Manager is not designed to manage two competing ethernet connections. I'd detach the ethernet from the Realtek, attach one to the Atheros and reboot.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Ok, I got mine working, here's what I did.

Detaching and removing the Realtek didn't work on it's own. After I removed it, running ifconfig just showed the lo device. Running ifconfig -a showed the Atheros device named p4p1 and disabled. I edited /etc/network/interfaces, which still had the Realtek interface named p6p1 listed. I changed p6p1 to p4p1, rebooted, and all works perfectly now. I'm not sure why it named the interfaces like that, but it works.

Thanks again for your help, hopefully what worked for me will also help the other guy having issues with this chipset.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I decided to just reinstall Ubuntu to get the USB ports working and get back to where I was. Any other suggestions on getting the Ethernet port to work would be nice, but if I don't get it working it's not that big of a deal because this is mainly a travel laptop, so I'll generally be tethering my phone to it for Internet (via USB), or using wireless networks. It'd still be nice to have Ethernet working just in case I ever want it though. Thanks for trying at least.

And yes my installation went without errors/warnings, but I'm not sure what all was and was not working, I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. Been using it for maybe 2 years but still not that familiar with the 'behind the scenes' stuff.
    Last edited by ShadowVegan; March 5th, 2013 at 04:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowVegan View Post
    I decided to just reinstall Ubuntu to get the USB ports working and get back to where I was. Any other suggestions on getting the Ethernet port to work would be nice, but if I don't get it working it's not that big of a deal because this is mainly a travel laptop, so I'll generally be tethering my phone to it for Internet (via USB), or using wireless networks. It'd still be nice to have Ethernet working just in case I ever want it though. Thanks for trying at least.

And yes my installation went without errors/warnings, but I'm not sure what all was and was not working, I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. Been using it for maybe 2 years but still not that familiar with the 'behind the scenes' stuff.
    I firmly believe the best and easiest approach is linux-image as above.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12