Thread: Suggestion for Ubuntu UK Podcast topic: GRUB!!!

Beans

Smile Suggestion for Ubuntu UK Podcast topic: GRUB!!!

This post is meant for the Unbuntu UK podcast team.

Great show, Y'all, just listed to Season 6, episode 1. You asked for suggestions on topics. I have one.

I'm a pretty experienced Ubuntu user. I've been listening to your excellent show, I really enjoy the news

One subject that I have NOT been able to find a complete guide to is the GRUB boot loader.

Yes, there are guides at various places on the web, but None seem to help my version of GRUB.

I'm having issues getting the menu to display the most recent Kernal.

Also, I'm using an older dual core processor with no less than 5 Hard drives.
    I have Ubuntu Server 12.04 installed on a separate disk and I usually run Unbuntu Desktop x86 on SDA1.

I have followed several online instruction guilds and I'm only spinning my wheels.
    I'd like to know how to configure the grub command line, but the seemingly conflicting information I've found has made that a challenge.

GRUB is a great tool, a in-deapth discussion of the tool as it relates to Ubuntu would be help full.

Thanks,
    Your Florida Fan,

Rick the "tekhammer"

Beans

Re: Suggestion for Ubuntu UK Podcast topic: GRUB!!!

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for the message! The best way to get in touch with us is either by emailing us directly on podcast@ubuntu-uk.org, or by commenting on an episode. Fortuantely we've got Google Alerts set up which alerted me to your post!

Thanks for the suggestion. The trouble is, I'm not sure that we could provide a discussion that's any more help than you've already found. As we've found from our Command Line Love segment, discussing command line tools on an audio-only show is a challenge at the best of times, so going in depth into something like GRUB would probably be hard work to listen to.

What I would suggest (if you haven't already) is checking out GRUB Customizer. It's a GUI tool for configuring GRUB, that in my limited bootloader adventures I've always found up to the job.
    Last edited by markjohnson; March 5th, 2013 at 11:38 AM.