Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix skips Linux again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Netflix skips Linux again!

Netflix is bringing streaming to the iPad. Will we ever get it for Linux? Canonical please talk to Netflix.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/n...aled/#comments

Beans

Re: Netflix skips Linux again!

Why would netflix want to provide linux support? Netflix needs DRM in order to stay on the MPAA's good side, err... I mean combat piracy. A large percentage of linux users are opposed to DRM and wouldn't use it because it goes against their ethical beliefs. Why code for an OS that has a low userbase and high percentage of users opposed to a profitable way of doing business?
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm fine with youtube, rather than the DRM from netflix.

I've been boycotting the **AAs for years because of how they run their businesses. There's plenty of free content out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Netflix and ESPN360 is the only reason I keep a copy of MS around.

Beans
    Distro

They have already stated publicly that it is not ever coming to the Linux desktop. If it ever does happen it'll be a work around or hack.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If Moonlight could keep up with Silverlight, it would be great. But, when Moonlight finally hits version 1, Silverlight 2 is required for Netflix, and now that Moonlight is version 2.x, Netflix wants Silverlight 3. I have made it all the way to the movie screen (didn't get a message stating the OS is incompatible) using User Agent Switcher to mask my browser as a Mac OS X Firefox 3.5 application. But Moonlight currently only supports Silverlight 2 apps.

Another fail.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kenosando View Post
    ... But, when Moonlight finally hits version 1, Silverlight 2 is required for Netflix, and now that Moonlight is version 2.x, Netflix wants Silverlight 3. ...
    Do you know about the Moonlight v3.0 preview? I would wonder if Netflix works using that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mocoloco View Post
    Do you know about the Moonlight v3.0 preview? I would wonder if Netflix works using that.
    Just want to chip in that I've had terrible difficulties trying to get Silverlight and Moonlight working.

Just stumbled on a solution after noting that my Android phone had no problem with Silverlight.

So I just installed a "user agent" switcher for firefox and use that to watch websites with Silverlight. I just have a standard Ubuntu 12.10 installed with Firefox using Adobe Flash to play.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Every damn thing is Skipping Linux no specific company.. Samsung does'nt offer kies, Adobe does'nt offer even flash, Nokia lumia does'nt work Apple does'nt work..and the list goes on and on...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    Every damn thing is Skipping Linux no specific company.. Samsung does'nt offer kies, Adobe does'nt offer even flash, Nokia lumia does'nt work Apple does'nt work..and the list goes on and on...
    I look at it differently.
    I'm skipping Adobe, Nokia, Apple, netflix, silverlight etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast