Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: 3.9 is here...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 3.9 is here...

Quote Originally Posted by deri View Post
    Why are you actually upgrading to the most recent kernel anyway?
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/10999526...ts/bjqCehUuq5Q

For those of you who always have to wait for a ".1" release before you are willing to try something, just because you aren't brave enough, unlike your neighbor who scares the local wildlife by running linux-next every single day? Well, now you need to get building that kernel as well, no excuses.

Stable kernels for everyone!

1. This is testing forum why do you ask ?
    2. Someone need to test and report the bugs ?
    3. It is fun and you learn new things.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Why are you actually upgrading to the most recent kernel anyway?
    Helping fix bugs, testing for the next version, for the hell of it....

Also newer kernel = better support for recent hardware, and new supported features, file systems etc etc............

For example, on this laptop when first installed the stock kernel version available in ubuntu did not behave nicely with the newish graphics card/chip on it. The screen would corrupt and blank out on occasions, especially when closing the lid, freezing the machine. It turned out that all that was needed to sort the problem was to run the newer upstream mainline kernel that obviously had better support for my new hardware.

Beans

Well at the time I asked why are you upgrading I did upgrade myself too. I haven't noticed major differences between 3.xx series and 3.8 and 3.9. I am not doing anything extraordinary on my pc. Btw. where can I find EXT4 flags and how to start to use them if some are available?

Beans

...and I am constantly reading lkml.org which is linux kernel list in readable format, no need to join some email list. I have downloaded linux kernel and looked at the syntax but it's too complicate to give my help to the community.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

ext4 is one (the main used and the more effective at time) of the partitionning format (like some others: ext2, ext3, btrfs, xfs, ntfs, fat32, ...) done by tools like gparted/partedmagic.
    that is the first task before doing an installation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Btw. where can I find EXT4 flags and how to start to use them if some are available?
    Which ext4 flags ? Can you explain what you want a little more please.

Maybe trying to second guess is a bad idea, however you may want to look at....

Code:
    dumpe2fs
    (Filesystem features: ) and

Code:
    tune2fs
    (-O [^]feature[,...])

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

I have never seen those commands before. Both worked, but I didn't try them by myself --> tune. I have read somewhere that ext4 has some developement features which are not enabled by default. How to enable them? Configuring grub? Or how? And how to even know what can be enabled/disabled?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    I have never seen those commands before.
    I've been running a development version of Ubuntu for three years and I see commands posted on this site every day that I haven't seen before. My suggestion is that you exit this thread and scroll to the bottom of the Ubuntu +1 root forum and copy the list of moderators for this section. In my opinion you can trust just about anything they have to say. There are also a lot of other long term linux users on this forum that know just as much as the moderators. The OP of this thread is one of them. So if you stick around you will get to know who has it going on. In addition Google Search is a good place to start finding answers to your questions. Usually you will end up on a Wiki or back on this Site somewhere, but there are other Ubuntu sites with good info. In any case the reason most of us in this section install alternate kernels is because we want to. So far the price has been lower and the experience more productive than going to a movie. If you back-up your home directory you have nothing to lose that a clean install won't fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

I have never seen those commands before. Both worked, but I didn't try them by myself --> tune. I have read somewhere that ext4 has some developement features which are not enabled by default. How to enable them? Configuring grub? Or how? And how to even know what can be enabled/disabled?
    I suspect you would have to build your own kernel to access those features if they are developmental updates. You would then enable them by configuring the kernel before you build it.

This is the ext options from the kernel on my netbook.

Code:
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew % uname -r && grep -i "ext[2-4]" /boot/config-3.9.0-0-generic
    3.9.0-0-generic
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT2_FS_SECURITY=y
    # CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XIP is not set
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_DEFAULTS_TO_ORDERED=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y
    CONFIG_EXT4_FS=y
    CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
    CONFIG_EXT4_FS_SECURITY=y
    # CONFIG_EXT4_DEBUG is not set
    matthew-S206:/home/matthew %
    Do you have a link to the site where you read about them ?

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Don't have link. But I read somewhere that EXT4 had a issue that corrupted files. And if I remember right it was very rare issue and the one who fight with the issue had enabled some features on ext4 which are not enabled by default. This haven't happened just recently. But I bet you have read/heard about it if you have been here some time.

If I want to improve kernel developing, should I take note on my dmesg everytime I upgrade kernel? Or how do I find kernel bugs?

I have checked my dmesg just recently and I have plenty of stuff there that I don't understand. I definitely would want someone to explain. Just because I am curious. Not because I need the info.

-site note- I have noticed that Phoronix has constantly discussion on it's forums about hardware/software that goes so deep that it's impossible to follow. It's like messing with dmesg.
    Last edited by deri; May 9th, 2013 at 11:42 PM.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast