Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: home server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: home server

I should have also pointed out that making that my entire smb.conf file did nothing for me. I am still unable to see anything in windows.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home Server Running Trusty 14.04
    Dualboot Ubuntu 14.04/Windows 7 Ultimate Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sure. Do I just do that via right click? Because I did that part already. I went through and cancelled all the "Share this folder" options. (or at least I think that I did all of them)
    Or do you mean to do it elsewhere?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok so is it odd that I have one called usershare and one called usershares? I don't see why that would ever be?
    Screenshot from 2013-04-10 22:06:24.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by RobertKH View Post
    sure. Do I just do that via right click? Because I did that part already. I went through and cancelled all the "Share this folder" options. (or at least I think that I did all of them)
    Or do you mean to do it elsewhere?
    That should be all you need to do.

If it still isn't showing anything, are you blocking any ports with a firewall?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No firewall being blocked. As I said before the first time I did this it worked like a charm. However after switch boot drives with a fresh install it doesn't seem to like it. What could I be missing? I don't get it. Should I just delete all the files in the usershare and usershares folder? will that do anything for me? after restarting smbd won't it just rewrite them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok so I just double checked and there is nothing being shared, with the exception of my /home/public folder. I still have all those share definitions and some even say version #2. Does that make sense?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't know what else to tell you. I guess you could try booting a livecd, installing samba and configuring smb.conf and then seeing it you can see the shares. That would rule out a bad network configuration.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So how do i essentially "start over" here? How can I uninstall all my samba data and start fresh? Or is that even possible? Could I delete all the definitions? Or would a reboot automatically build them?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RobertKH View Post
    So how do i essentially "start over" here? How can I uninstall all my samba data and start fresh? Or is that even possible? Could I delete all the definitions? Or would a reboot automatically build them?
    Outside of a reinstall, I don't know because I don't use that usershares thing in nautilus.

Before you do anything on the actual machine, it would probably be a good idea to try it on a livecd to see if it shows the same symptoms.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I don't know what to tell you either. I wasn't even aware samba and nautilus shares are in conflict, I always used only samba and never even tried the right-click in nautilus.

To be sure you start from scratch, your really have to start from scratch I guess. It means a new install. And forget the right-click in nautilus from now on. I understand sometimes the GUI has its appeals, but come on man, samba is not that difficult to configure. Nautilus is just messing it up for you. At the end of the day, if you intend to use nautilus shares why are you installing samba at all? Stick to samba, install it, make the short simple smb.conf and it works. Never touch anything about shares in nautilus.

Also, on the windows client side, if it doesn't show the share right away, don't blame samba always. Maybe the windows can't see the server at all? Have you tried accessing it by the IP on your LAN? Hit the windows logo + R, type \\192.168.1.x (example, put your server IP there), and see if it shows the samba shares.

And don't name two machines the same on the network. It shouldn't be the issue here but you never know. Shared folders include the machine name in them so having two machines with the same name even for a little while could have confused things. Just speculating here. When it warned you, you should have listened to it.

That short smb.conf I posted should do the job just fine, I have it running on Server 12.04.2 LTS in my living room. And I'm not samba expert also, I just followed some tutorials, put the bare minimum I needed in smb.conf and it works from day 1.

Also to answer one of your previous questions, you don't need to share each subfolder if you already have the top folder shared. The /storage and /500gb are different locations/mounts/folders, so you need to share them separately. But apart from that, you don't need separate share for any folder inside them.
    Last edited by darkod; April 11th, 2013 at 10:17 AM.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast