Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: home server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: home server

I'm not sure if you can start working with it before it's completely synced, but I would let it finish the sync first.

After that, try reformatting it as ext4, it seems it has some issues with the filesystem. I assume there is still no data on it since it's a new array now, so formatting should be OK. Even the manual mount you tried mentioned "bad fs type, bad option or bad superblock".

So, after the sync of /dev/md0 is 100% done, try:
    Code:
    sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0
    That will change the UUID (an UUID is assigned on formatting), so if you want to keep using UUID in fstab you will have to edit it and put the new one in. Also, if using UUID with mdadm remember that the physical partitions still have different unique UUIDs, and /dev/md0 has a different one. You need to use the UUID of /dev/md0 since that's what you are mounting.

Double check the entry in fstan anyway, make sure there are no typing errors, etc:
    Code:
    /dev/md0   /mount   ext4   defaults   0   2
    It worked for you last time, right? You must be doing something wrong now. You say that even the 500GB disk doesn't want to mount with fstab which has nothing to do with mdadm, just with the entry you are putting in fstab.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    You can set up anything on Ubuntu desktop that you can set up on the server. Unlike Windows, there's no fundamental difference between server and desktop editions, it's just a question of default packages and configurations. They both pull from the same repositories and use the same set of packages.

Sending an email means setting up an MTA; I prefer postfix myself. You'll need to have an SMTP server you can relay off of to send email outside your own network. You will need to talk to your ISP about that, I don't think most ISPs let you relay because of spammers.
    here is a link that might help http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
    running ubuntu servers, 12.04.3 lts and Pfsense 2.1,
    web hosting and email hosting with 2 ubuntu clients
    uberstudent on laptop
    and 3 networked printers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ok so I just got it to mount after reformatting it as you said darkod. Now I am going to restart and see if I can get it to mount at startup.

One other thing. Why is it that I can't seem to make folders in those drives that I automatically mounted? I don't think that part is the issue, but for some reason it wouldn't let me create folders there unless I was SU. Is that normal? Do I have to launch in nautilus in order to make any modifications to folders? Remember this is for photo and other media storage, so I will probably have folders full of specific dated items within it. I want to be able to create quickly. Although I can do all this through RDP so it doesn't matter that much right now.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home Server Running Trusty 14.04
    Dualboot Ubuntu 14.04/Windows 7 Ultimate Laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

By default you create the mount point as root (using the sudo prefix) so it's owned by root and no other users are given permissions by default.

You can always change permissions later, it depends what type of permissions you want. For example, to give RW access to all users, including any existing subfolders, you would do:
    Code:
    sudo chmod -R a+rw /mount
    That gives RW to all, and using the -R makes it recursive to include all subfolders. After you execute that, any users should be able to use all data, including making folders, etc.

If you want specific access for some users to some folders, you need to plan the folder structure and specify the permissions correctly. Linux is very strict with permissions, that's part of why it's safe. Unless you give people access, it will be denied.

On samba shares you have also permissions as specified in the share definition, which can allow or deny access. You can give access to certain shares to certain users only, using the share definition.
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Success! Server is working like a champ as of this morning. Thanks for all your help. Now on to trying to set up postfix or something simliar in order to let me know if a drive is failing. I also need to figure out if I want to use OpenVPN or not. Any chance you have any experience with it darkod? You've been quite the help in setting this up so far. I do have a question on OpenVPN. I understand VPN services, however normally they are only to relay your information request to a website and then return the results. It serves as a middle man alone. However as I understand OpenVPN I can access my computer like a remote desktop. Is that the case here or was someone just blowing smoke up... you get it. Any ideas?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

No, I don't have experience with OpenVPN directly. VPN is like a "middle man" but in a way that it serves to create a secure connection to the remote network. Once you are connected, it's the same as if you are inside that remote network. You can open network shares, applications, remote desktop connections, websites that are not accessible over the internet, etc. If a website for example is accessible over internet, you don't need VPN to access it, right?

So, yes, with VPN connection you should be able to easily open a remote desktop connection to any computer in the remote network that has remote connection enabled.
    Darko.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Truly I am astonished that I got this all working. Thanks again for all your help darkod. Do you mind if I use some of your instructions in my blog to document my progress? I want to write up something that will help other future home server builders to get their Ubuntu machine working. The only think that I have left to do is the VPN thing, some sort of email notifications and some sort of media server so that my blu-ray can find the files. I will mark this thread as solved as you have done an excellent job of helping me out and I feel that everything from here can go to another thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yeah, feel free to use the instructions.

For media server I have Twonky but that is because I already had paid the license. There is an open source program called MiniDLNA if I'm not mistaken which should work with any DLNA enabled device. As second choice the Twonky license is not expensive either.
    Darko.

Beans

Hi Robert,

You mentioned way back that you were often away on business, and running an OpenVPN server may help you in several ways.

Firstly, it will allow you to access other nodes on your home network when away, this can be extremely useful when something has gone wrong and you need to fix it (voice of experience speaking here...). I also found it very helpful for communicating with my family when I was away from home as I was running a VoIP PBX at home and using a Softphone on my laptop connecting to my PBX, I could call any phone in my home for free, no matter where I was.

Secondly, it may help you maintain security while you are away. You can set up your VPN to carry all traffic from your remote workstation and relay it through your home ISP. This can be useful for accessing services which are locked to geographical areas when you're away, but it's potentially most important use is encrypting all traffic from your laptop to your home network. This would make it much more secure to transmit information when you are in a location where the security of the network cannot be guaranteed, such as public Wi-Fi hotspots, hotel internet access etc. I'd never do some things like internet banking unless I was VPN'd to a known secure network, or using a SSH tunnel.

Setting up OpenVPN is not particularly difficult either, but if you have some specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    Stefan
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Minidlna did the trick! I can now stream my media to my blu-ray player. Thanks for the tip. However I have some converting to do with mkv files downloaded from XBMC. Apparently they aren't supported.

As far as openvpn I am still trying to figure it out, but rest assured I will get it. Any chance you could email me your configuration Stefan? Feel free to X out the important stuff.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast