Thread: First ten minutes--- And the next 3 hours.

Beans

First ten minutes--- And the next 3 hours.

Gone were the days of me using mint. It's time for me to test if Ubuntu really is Linux for human beings.

I've used the Elementary Luna Beta- And Mint, but i haven't used Ubuntu. Earlier i installed. Like all my linux installs, the first install failed, so i had to boot the installer again. Took around thirty minutes like always. Nice install time.

I touched on Wubi before, but it lagged so bad i couldn't do anything.
    Ubuntu booted up and i was greeted by a rather bland looking login screen
    Ah well, not as good as Luna's, but maybe that ugly desktop bg you get had something to do with it.

First thing i did was test the internet, then ran system settings to appearance. Have a new BG until bothered to search for one. Changed the theme to that really bright one, then changed back. I liked the black.
    I also made the dock only appear when i moved my mouse to left.

Next thing i did was download the restricted extras from the software centre and DL'ing OpenJDK Java now. Will test minecraft later.

So, what now? What to do? I'm impressed so far by Ubuntu, but what do i do? My OS does seem a bit laggy, but can't find the xubuntu desktop. Any desktops i should get?

Beans

Re: First ten minutes--- And the next 3 hours.

You can install xfce4 by opening a command terminal and typing "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get install xfce4 && sudo apt-get install xfce4-goodies" without quotes. If you want to search for other desktop environments, use "apt-cache search 'name of desktop environment'". Such as "apt-cache search kde". If that gives too many results, just refine the search perameters by trying "kde-desktop" or, as I think Ubuntu does it, "kubuntu-desktop".
    ‎"Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them." -- David Hume

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you're looking at some "laggy" performance and are familiar with Mint, you could try using the Cinnamon desktop as an alternative. However, this would also require adding an additional repository to the list. I've found Cinnamon to be a nice alternative. Clean, fresh, and leaves a lot of room for your desktop. Bear in mind, I love Unity, but sometimes it's nice to have a change.

To install Cinnamon:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cinnamon
    Once you've installed any other desktop environments, you can access them from the login screen; clicking on the Ubuntu logo next to Username.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And if you like to kick it old school, try linux mint MATE.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh yeah, MATE is awesome stuff. Forgot about that!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Or, go for the best and simply add the Xubuntu desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's your call, I've never really found a desktop I didn't like outside of Gnome 3. -but that's just me, you might enjoy it!