Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04LTS black lines on screen

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04LTS black lines on screen

Hello!

I am hoping someone may be able to shed some light on an issue that I have been having since installing my new OS.

I am new to the forum, but have been using Ubuntu for a number of years and have a basic knowledge of the OS but this issue has me stuck! So down to business... I have an AMD A6-3620 APU (64bit) with AMD Radeon HD 6530D and I have installed the ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX driver installed (post released updates installed).

The issue that I am having is that upon start-up once I have logged in I get numerous black horizontal lines flash on the screen. They are consistent and come on as soon as the screen logs in. I have discovered a temporary fix by opening the AMD catalyst control program and changing the refresh rate to 30hrz even though this is the default and what it is set to in the first place... after applying this and clicking OK the lines disappear. I have been doing this every day for several weeks, but although this removes the lines they come back upon reboot and I have to go through the same process.

I hope that someone can make sense of this. Please let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04LTS black lines on screen

How did you install the drivers: from the driver manager or through ATIs site?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Hi Sef,

Thanks for your reply. I installed the driver via the driver manager.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A refresh rate of 30 seems pretty low. Have you tried increasing it?
    That's half of what a standard monitor would read.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Hi deadflowr,

The refresh rate max is 30... I also thought it was low as my old monitor was running at 75! I am currently using an led TV via an HDMI which might have something to do with it, however it seems to look pretty good in terms of the display. Well apart from the black lines!

Thanks.

Beans

Any further help?

Beans

I suggest gong back to additinal drivers manger and installing the regular stable drivers and not the post release ones i had this issue and using the stable ones fixed it the post release ones is very unstable i learned that the hard way once you get the regular ones installed remeber to deactivate the post release ones

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It sounds as though you've installed the fglrx driver- I've always had better luck with the radeon (open source) drivers. If you want to try using the open source drivers instead, open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and add the line

Code:
    blacklist fglrx_pci

to the end of it. Save and reboot. If that doesn't work for you, you can unblacklist it by removing said line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

^this. Also maybe get drivers from another source if that doesnt work. You should not be getting such low refresh rates or lines on the screen
    Antec 300 Illusion__________MSI 770-G45 AM3
    AMD X6 3.0Ghz____________4gig ddr3 1600 GSKILL
    1tb Seagate hd____________ATI 5850 xfx(OC soon)
    _____________750w diablotek psu_______________

Beans

Thank you for the replies...
    So I have uninstalled the drivers (which I have done in the past to try and solve this issue) the problem now is that although the BLACK LINES HAVE GONE! The display is "zoomed in", by that I mean that the edges of windows and the unity bar etc. are off to the side of the monitor.

Any suggestions?

Please note that on the subject of the refresh rate this is now set to 75 or atleast that is what is being indicated by CompizConfig Settings Manager.
    Last edited by MonsterSound; March 6th, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast