1. Go to System Setting>Keyboard>Shortcuts> and select the <Sound and Media> Tab.
2. On the right pane you will see Volume Mute, Volume Down and Volume Up
3. Go on each of them with the mouse pointer and left click on each of them one by one.
4. In each case <New Accelerator> will come up... Press the backspace key to disable the shortcut.
5. Repeat this for all three keys
6. Repeat the same procedure all over again, but this time as <New Accelerator> appears press F6, F7 and F8 for each function
(I assume F6 for Mute, F7 for Volume Down and F8 for Volume Up).
IMPORTANT: DO NOT press the Fn key.
Your new reassigned keys will work. If there is any problem repeat the whole sequence but reboot after step 5