Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: GNOME 3 PPA for Raring

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GNOME 3 PPA for Raring

Why do you need a Gnome PPA when there is now a Ubuntu Gnome Build Available at the Cdimage Server?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    Why do you need a Gnome PPA when there is now a Ubuntu Gnome Build Available at the Cdimage Server?
    For Gnome 3.8.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Possibly, or maybe something else at play -
    Had a new install don't care about so just added the gs3 ppa's, upgraded, ect.
    (the Gnome 3 ppa's have to be the slowest ppa's I've come across in quite some time. Generally LP ppa's are slower than Ubuntu repo's but these take the cake (I do 2-3000+ kB/s with Ubuntu, Gnome 3 averages around 65 kB/s

Anyway noticed that in a Classic session toggling org.gnome.desktop.background On, then Off gives chosen background, picked from the r.click > Change background. (tweak-tool doesn't start
    The first toggle lasts for about 10 sec.'s, the 2nd or possibly a 3rd lasts the session. A new login starts over on the Desktop folder, ect., ect.
    This is with lightdm, didn't try gdm as of yet..
    I am OK with the fact that it works with startx/xinit since that is my prefered way of working... Less resources, easier to control, ... I'll try Your bypass as soon as I start LightDM/GDM...
    Update₁: Yes, it behaves just as You've described, I tried it in GDM, to have a complete set of tests (with Yours from LightDM...)...
    At my place I did not change background switch but the one about showing desktop icons...
    So
    Code:
    alias TB='gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false'
    does the job... Thank You for insight/hint...
    Last edited by zika; March 29th, 2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Two issues that I was not sure where to put:

2. Scroll slider vanishes after I release it when browsing folders, especially in OpenFile dialog...
    I'm not sure who is to be „blamed“ for these two because I have all G3 PPAs active

I have the same problem (raring+gnome-team/gnome3 PPA) with the scrollbars in nautilus, gedit, evince etc.
    Did you by any chance manage to solve the issue?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AntoineT View Post
    I have the same problem (raring+gnome-team/gnome3 PPA) with the scrollbars in nautilus, gedit, evince etc. [...]
    Me too!

I've never mentioned it, because I prefer to use the mouse wheel, anyway.

However, there are times (for instance, editing a large file) when a working scrollbar would be handy.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

to work around that issue, i've set "legacy" option into dconf

Beans

13.04, Gnome3 + Gnome3-Staging + Ricotz PPA installed. Running Gnome Shell 3.8.0.1.

So far I ran into this one issue where my background image is only present when in the activities menu. I took a 10 second screencast that can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJOoQPHSgxo

A suggestion in the Gnome IRC channel was to fire up Gnome Tweak Tool and uncheck "Have file manager handle the desktop."

I also ran into a funky issue with my desktop system which is running the Nvidia 313 drivers and has two monitors (primary center, secondary right). I noticed when I get to the login screen, it's entirely empty and gray. I see no icons, no username, no nothing. I also notice that my monitors are switched, as if the system thinks it's primary-right and secondary-left, where it's really primary-left and secondary-right. If I move the cursor up to the top of the screen so it brushes the top edge, the login screen appears but on my secondary monitor. At least at that point I can log in, but it's obvious GDM is out of whack in this setup. I wonder if a dpkg --reconfigure or whatever would realign it?

Other than that I'm liking what I'm seeing so far from Gnome 3.8. I was a little bummed at the removal of the scroll-to-zoom feature in the activities menu, but ironically just yesterday I was trying to find out if there was a hot key that I could hold and scroll to navigate through other workspaces. The lack of scroll-to-zoom, yet the inclusion of larger thumbnails that are laid out more intelligently, coupled with the scroll to navigate to other workspaces feature, is quite nice. I still loved my scroll to zoom, but I also never used workspaces that much. This should make it a bit easier to organize open windows accordingly.

So far, I dig it. Well done Gnome devs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AntoineT View Post
    I have the same problem (raring+gnome-team/gnome3 PPA) with the scrollbars in nautilus, gedit, evince etc.
    Did you by any chance manage to solve the issue?
    I have to pay attention to that... I did not notice problems these couple of days...
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    to work around that issue, i've set "legacy" option into dconf
    Which schema/setting?
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I am OK with the fact that it works with startx/xinit since that is my prefered way of working... Less resources, easier to control, ... I'll try Your bypass as soon as I start LightDM/GDM...
    Update₁: Yes, it behaves just as You've described, I tried it in GDM, to have a complete set of tests (with Yours from LightDM...)...
    At my place I did not change background switch but the one about showing desktop icons...
    So
    Code:
    alias TB='gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons true && gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false'
    does the job... Thank You for insight/hint...
    Pleasant surprise: I've booted now, back from work, and it is black as it should be, in GDM... No need for tinkering... I did not have time to look what upgrades were done in the meantime...
    Update₁: Awakening from stand-by still doesn't work if I am in GDM/LightDM... In startx/xinit it does...
    Last edited by zika; March 29th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast