Thread: Can Java files from Ubuntu Eclipse work or can be exported to the Windows Eclipse?

Beans

Smile Can Java files from Ubuntu Eclipse work or can be exported to the Windows Eclipse?

Hi,

I starting Java programming at school and take a good guess, everyone uses Window$

So we are practicing java for beginners in Eclipse (In Windows).

I want to know if I send my teacher my projects would the files run smoothly with out any problem??

Thank You for your time

Beans

Re: Can Java files from Ubuntu Eclipse work or can be exported to the Windows Eclipse

Yes. The .java and .class files will all work on Windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Can Java files from Ubuntu Eclipse work or can be exported to the Windows Eclipse

Moved to Programming Talk
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Java will work anywhere that Java is installed... no matter what operating system. The 'compiled' .class files that are created do not run on the native operating system... they run on a Java Virtual Machine (the JVM).
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You probably also want to check you are using the same major version, e.g. Java 7.
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Put in the comments block: Please don't ding me if this doesn't run on your Windows machine. It was programmed in a linux environment. Neckbeards for Freedom.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar117 View Post
    I want to know if I send my teacher my projects would the files run smoothly with out any problem??
    Yes, everything should work fine.

Also remember that Linux and Windows use different end-of-line symbols. Most advanced editors (like Eclipse), don't have an issue with this, but if your teacher views the files in Notepad, then the text will look as one long line

As far as I can remember, you can force a certain end of line style in Eclipse, by going to Window > Preferences > General > Workspace > New text file line delimiter and choosing "Windows".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you only send .java/.class files yes it should work (if you teacher is really picky you may have to convert java files to Windows end-of-line conventions with "todos", but if he is that picky change teachers... he doesn't know much).