Thread: Green rectangles appear, system is immediately unresponsive and then reboots

Threaded View

Beans

Green rectangles appear, system is immediately unresponsive and then reboots

I just completed a new build and think I did comprehensive hardware research for Linux incompatibility issues, but after a silky smooth installation I logged in and got green lines / rectangles after about a minute. It doesn't seem to be based upon particular actions. It happens even if I wait on the login screen. Before it happens I can connect to internet, load the software center, etc. Afterwards the system doesn't respond to mouse or keyboard. Google has plenty of ideas for Windows problems, but nothing that seems to apply to me. I don't know if this is a driver or a bad processor, etc.

Processor and Graphics: i5 3570k intel HD 4000
    HD: Samsung 840 Pro Series, 256 GB SATA 6GB/s SSD (MZ-7PD256BW)
    MB: Gigabyte Mini-ITX (GA-Z77N-WIFI) LGA 1155
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Troubleshooting so far:
    1. Swapped HDMI in for the DVI I started with before realizing the system was unresponsive too.
    2. I thought I should try booting from a USB (for instance, the one I installed Ubuntu from) which I cannot seem to do because the computer doesn't seem to have a bios screen that stays on long enough for me to change boot order. It is instantly at GRUB. I guess that's the speed I get with and SSD... I feel like this would be a good test, so any tips are appreciated. Can I add a USB to the GRUB menu or select it somehow? I don't see an obvious option.

greenrec.jpg
    Last edited by QIII; March 3rd, 2013 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Thumbnail image