Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12.04 hangs at "detecting hardware"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 12.04 hangs at "detecting hardware"

Which boot mode do you want it to be in, the old legacy (CSM), or UEFI ? With no more Win 8 you can use the old style legacy BIOS. The Raid setting should be in the BIOS or UEFI ? Does that boot speed set to normal also mean that the fast boot mode option is disabled or turned off ? Some UEFI help here; http://www.uefi.org/about/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have AMD, I do not think you have RAID unless they are implementing something similar. It is an Intel standard that uses a small SSD for cacheing. But running the commands to remove RAID should not hurt anything as long as you do not want or have to have RAID.

From one with the Intel SRT:
    You may have to install dmraid first.
    Disable the RAID, for me it was using the Intel rapid management thingy and telling it to disable the acceleration or the use of the SSD. If you have a different system, just disable the RAID system then install Ubuntu. Once installed you can then re-enable it.
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sdb
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

newlinuxu; Hi !

Still hanging in there with you. I monitor to see if I can help in any small way.

As UEFI is turned off, raid not a factor, slideshow disabled --then:

Have you tried the preset boot options available in the install medium boot screen (purple screen ->language screen -> boot options -> f6 key)?
    Else nother thing .. wireless access to the 'net ? If so maybe the drivers are not loaded ..try a wired connection.

Try'n to help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Boot-Repair can also convert a BIOS/Legacy install to UEFI, if you partition with gpt so you have a 200 or 300MB efi partition first on the drive. When you install in BIOS mode it will also create a bios_grub partition if partitioned with gpt.
    If you partition with MBR(msdos) you will not be able to convert to UEFI, but you may not want to. But I would still suggest gpt partitioning.

With my new, now 1 year old SSD I partitioned with gpt, left 300MB for an efi partition and installed in my old BIOS system including the 1MB bios_grub unformatted partition. I was planning on building a new system last summer that would be UEFI. But now it looks like it will be this next summer.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

thanks for the ongoing leads

both those RAID commands resulted in a message detailing usage of sudo, so im guessing no raid

yes from what ive read i want CSM, and yes normal boot is selected instead of fast boot, thats the only mention of boot speed i could find in my BIOS.

ive tried a few of the f6, f6 preset selections to various effect, not every combo though. i may try some other bios options too. . .

couldnt get the hard wire connection working either, figured id troubleshoot networking from an installed OS rather than the LiveCD.

i will try the boot repair and gpt partition, and try and get network access sorted out. Still wondering what hardware the install is stumbling on since the slideshow=off didnt seem to effect it.
    Last edited by newlinuxu; March 5th, 2013 at 05:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do seem to be seeing more issues with AMD than Intel, but Intel also needs boot parameters for its video and some other hardware.

Someone else with Toshiba
    [SOLVED] Can't install Windows 8 & Ubuntu in Toshiba Portege Z930 with explanation how by OP feb 2013
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2114290

Make sure your UEFI/BIOS is up to date.

Some Toshiba's will not boot.
    they managed to leave the signing key out of the database that's used to validate binaries

Beans

Hey there,

Came across this thread trying to install Ubuntu on my Toshiba C855D (pre-installed Win 8, Ubuntu installer hangs at "detecting hardware") and came across pretty much the exact same problem. Was wondering if you managed to solve it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

While it is better to install in UEFI mode which requires booting installer in UEFI mode, some systems only boot in BIOS mode. Can you install in BIOS mode? Boot-Repair will convert to UEFI.

Have you updated UEFI as the issue of a system working in BIOS and not working in UEFI is something between how UEFI writes data vs BIOS and how operating system reads it. Or it could be a UEFI bug or an update in Ubuntu to read data not written the same as everyone else is writing it.

See also my signature for more details on UEFI.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12