Beans
    Hidden!

Re: USB is read only and won't unlock

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGuardian View Post
    for those who wanted dmesg:
    Code:
    403.888131] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb]  Sense Key : Data Protect [current] 
    [  403.888137] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb]  Add. Sense: Write protected
    [  403.888143] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] CDB: Write(10): 2a 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 08 00
    [  403.888155] end_request: critical target error, dev sdb, sector 2048
    [  403.888161] Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 0
    [  403.888165] lost page write due to I/O error on sdb1
    [  403.888189] EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): __ext4_get_inode_loc:3680: inode #8: block 705: comm mount: unable to read itable block
    [  403.888232] EXT4-fs (sdb1): no journal found
    Hmm, maybe this advice will help:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hdparm
    sudo hdparm -r0 /dev/sdb
    Also, similar problems were previously reported for JetFlash USB drives. Some succeeded by reformatting them with JetFlash Online Recovery. Does Kingston offer some low-level format utility for your drive model? Perhaps, this?
    Last edited by schragge; March 5th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.

Beans

It seems as if the solution for the OP has been found... Still, I think I should mention that my problem solved itself. The partitions which had been Read Only have returned to being Read/Write - and, I have no idea why.
    Last edited by scruffyeagle; March 6th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
    "That's my motto - a place for everything, and everything all over the place!"
    -- From an old comic I once saw.--

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffyeagle View Post
    It seems as if the solution for the OP has been found... Still, I think I should mention that my problem solved itself. The partitions which had been Read Only have returned to being Read/Write - and, I have no idea why.
    So, at least in your case, scruffyeagle, let us think it was some obscure bug, that has been fixed after an update

ShadowGuardian, have a last try with your pendrive!

First you should update your system
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    And then try with your pendrive again! If you had the same problem as scruffyeagle, it may work now. Otherwise we can be pretty sure it's a hardware problem, a broken/faulty device, as dcstar told us some posts ago.
    Last edited by sudodus; March 6th, 2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: added tip to update the system

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    So, at least in your case, scruffyeagle, let us think it was some obscure bug, that has been fixed after an update
    Well, that's the thing... I hadn't allowed any updates to happen, while I was trying to figure out exactly what had gone wrong. I did notice one detail of similarity between my situation & the OP - we'd both used gparted right before the Read Only problem happened.

Instigated by this situation, I did a lot of study on mount & fstab recently. Perhaps it would be worth a try for the OP to attempt a remount specifying -rw?
    "That's my motto - a place for everything, and everything all over the place!"
    -- From an old comic I once saw.--

Beans

My computer tech had my usb so i wasnt replying. It is still not fixed. BTW i used gparted after the problem. Problem started after i tried installing fedora 18. I think fedora tried to use ubuntu's swap partition. The install failed, and when i tried to format everything and try again is when the readonly problem started.

I wont throw it away because i want to fix it even if i cant use it. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. @sudodus: do you think i need to update to 12.10, because i would rather keep LTS.

Please keep sending suggestions, and thanks for the replies so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

do you think i need to update to 12.10, because i would rather keep LTS.
    12.04 is just fine
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowGuardian View Post
    My computer tech had my usb so i wasnt replying. It is still not fixed. BTW i used gparted after the problem. Problem started after i tried installing fedora 18. I think fedora tried to use ubuntu's swap partition. The install failed, and when i tried to format everything and try again is when the readonly problem started.
    We don't know why this happened, but it is unlikely, that fedora should have destroyed it. And swap partitions are re-useable, at least if they are not encrypted.
    I wont throw it away because i want to fix it even if i cant use it. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. @sudodus: do you think i need to update to 12.10, because i would rather keep LTS.

Please keep sending suggestions, and thanks for the replies so far.
    Yes, keep it! In case it is a bug, maybe your system will manage to use the USB drive soon.

Finally, I do not think you need to upgrade to 12.10. Stay with 12.04 LTS, it is better debugged and more stable. This problem with the USB drive is not an issue because of too new hardware for your version of the operating system.

Beans

Good to see your online sudodus

Beans

Anyway, i am gonna fight this stupid thing until i figure it out. I am willing to try magnets

After the failed fedora install, minitool partitioner said ubuntu swap was gone.

I believe when i tried to reinstall ubuntu on it after the failure (to see if it would help) it would not recognize/mount the usb so i couldnt select it for the install. My computer tech said try the fedora install and see what happens.

I dont think its an update issue because the usb fights windows 7, too. Just thought i would give you guys more info (I love these forums)

Beans
    Hidden!

If by any chance, something was written to parts of the flash memory outside what is normally available to the user, you can try to wipe the pendrive with DBAN

http://www.dban.org/

and after that try to create a partition table with partitions and file systems again.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast