Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

Built a machine last summer, installed Ubuntu 12.04, and Folding@home client v 7.1.52. The machine is dedicated solely to Folding@home.
    I run the machine headless, and ssh into it from any of our three Macs to check temperatures, do software updates and the occasional system reboot/restart as and when requested after a software update.
    I use Folding@home Control on my Intel iMac to monitor the F@h client, so I can pause or stop the client if necessary.

I will say that I was really impressed with Ubuntu when I first saw it up and running. It's faster than anything else I've owned. Power consumption, headless and with the optical drive disconnected, is 110 Watts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I make cross-platform apps for a living, and I started with Ubuntu because one of my customers asked me for a Linux version of one of my apps. I was impressed. After using it more and more, these days it's where I spend at least half my time (I still need to work on Win and Mac for testing), and it's definitely the most enjoyable of the three.

Beans

I use it for everything. a few days ago i had to install win 7 on one because i havent found a way to use Rabbitttv on linux yet. It only works on Mac or Windows. so far.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Everything.
    Every time I go back to Windows for something, I get hit by a pile of updates that require 2 reboots (needless to say I don't return very often)
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I run it for musical applications, I like to mess around with digital art, regular web surfing, email, the usual. Loving the experience with Linux so far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

mainly surfing the internet, school work. Two recent shockers though. Gaming, usually play TF2 here along with ..... watching Netflix . Thought i'd never type such a thing. Overall, Ubuntu is my main OS. I keep Windows 7 around because I paid for it years ago for cheap, for playing big games, and for apps that thought work well in Ubuntu.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans

I got started with Ubuntu because we use linux systems (specifically Red Hat) for the research I do, so I wanted to get familiar with a similar system. I recently installed lubuntu on the 10 year old HP my dad has been using. He's been referring to it as "Ubunti Lexus." The improvement was so dramatic over XP that my mom thought extra memory had magically apparated onto the computer.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: What do you use your Ubuntu for!?

I use Ubuntu for everyday PC use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

For anything what i ever did in windows like exploring the intetrnet , listening to music, watching movies and ...

Beans
    Hidden!

Mainly the web via chromium.

Over the years I've used it to rip my CDs to flac and mp3, backup my dvds, edit video, edit photos, program, office work, fix broken windows installs, watch dvds, home server duties, web design, video chat with friends and family, convert audio files from one type to another, revive old hardware, copy files to hundreds of plug in devices, batch re-name hundreds of files, edit audio, collect my e-mail, help me learn guitar, fix client windows computers remotely, connect to home server via ssh and control remote machines with vnc.

So far there has not been a job I can't adapt this Kubuntu tool to, but sometimes I have to adapt to the tools available and sometimes it's not always Kubuntu, but a different distro of Linux.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast