Thread: Cross Platform Photo Manger

Beans

Cross Platform Photo Manger

Hi there,

So I'm new to linux, I've been running Mac OSX for a long time, and really like Unix based systems! My new Samsung is running Ubuntu like a dream!
    My question is this:
    In my line of work, I have lots of pictures of old musical instruments, which I'd like to organise. On my Mac I'd reach for aperture, but clearly this isn't going to happen on Ubuntu!
    I don't need photo editing capabilities, more file/photo managing, however I would like to have tags or something similar, as it is nice to tag fronts, backs, scrolls, soundholes etc, as well as having the pictures by maker of instrument, so that I can easily get to what I need!
    A good file manager would work too. However, the caveat is that I would like to have this sync with my Mac desktop computer. In aperture, this would simply mean putting the aperture library in dropbox, or similar, although ideally I'd just like it to sync over a local network, and not online (as my instrument photo library is 9gb and growing!).

Anyone got any suggestions of solutions to both/either the syncing or the photo managing?

Thanks in advance for your help

Fraser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cross Platform Photo Manger

You could run a web application hosted on the Ubuntu machine. There are several, for instance http://gallery2.org.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    You could run a web application hosted on the Ubuntu machine. There are several, for instance http://gallery2.org.
    Thanks tgalati4,

My only concern about this is that I also need to be able to access the library offline, if I am in a museum or similar and want to compare an instrument with photos, then I would like to have full functionality, would this work, or does it require a connection always?

Fraser

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have it on a machine at home, you would need to poke a hole in your router's firewall so you can access your website/photo gallery from your smartphone. An alternative is to have a personal photo gallery on your machine using a local manager (like shotwell), then put the photos that you need for out-and-about shopping/apraising on a commercial photo service like flikr or google+ or google drive. There are many online photo services that give you a small free account--that may be all you need.

I don't know how well shotwell scales to manage a 9GB collection. That you will have to search the web for feedback. I would use tagging on your photos with a very specific criteria, so that you can upload a small fraction of your collection to an online service for easy web access. Use the 80/20 rule. 80% of your need for these photos when away from your computer will be satisfied by 20% of the collection. How do you determine that 20%? Another tip is to use the Rule-of-12. Create no more than 12 primary categories and no more than 12 subcategories under each. That makes navigation much quicker. If you need more than 144 bins to sort stuff, then create a third level of no more than 12. That gives you 1728 bins to sort your photos.

An alternative is to get a large memory iPad and put the entire collection on that.
    Last edited by tgalati4; February 9th, 2014 at 05:29 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.