Thread: Partiioning problems

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Partiioning problems

I have had little trouble which have made me end up with three "partitions". The first is just unalocated space. Second is the partition I use, and third is old partition. Now I just want to integrate them all in the partition I use. I have been trying to figure out how to use geparted to do it with out succes.

How do i get it all settled in one partition?

t.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: Partiioning problems

Are you booting off a Live CD or USB and mounting the disk?

Beans

Re: Partiioning problems

Quote Originally Posted by thorbs View Post
    How do i get it all settled in one partition?
    Converting it to a single partition is easy, but then you'll have to fix your system to boot it, because it is presently configured to boot the second partition, and if you delete the existing first partition, then your system will be on the new first partition. The GParted menus are a right-click while the cursor is on the target partition.

May I suggest you shrink the existing first partition to 1GB, and change the filesystem to swap. That way your system will remain on the second partition. You can delete the existing third partition, and then expand the second partition to use all of the unallocated space.

Note -- this type of change can take a very long time -- prepare to go do something else for some hours.

Also note -- if your /etc/fstab mount lines use UUIDs, then these may change after the re-partitioning work. If that happens, you can use this command to see the new configuration and UUIDs:

Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
    This will show you what you need to edit /etc/fstab and paste in the correct UUIDs.
    Last edited by dabl; March 1st, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04