Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I basically wont judge but will wait and see. If it will suit my needs great if not i don't know yet what to do. I will decide then.

It is really big and ambitious path but i never underestimated Canonical. Qt is solid toolkit, probably the best ATM, GTK+ 3 apps is said will still be supported, vendors with graphic drivers will have to support Mir and probably Canonical will not give them much reasons not to.

It could work but the competition will be hard for sure and that is a good thing. If Compiz has to be sacrificed at least make it in a way it works where X.org falls short now and about the desktop at least have some mode that offers desktop full of icons because i don't need another GnomeShell and some people try to reason with me having icons on the desktop is BAD thing, it's not.
    You do know that GnomeShell supports icons on the desktop, yes? I use my desktop as sort of an inbox for new stuff until I decide how to file it. In any case, you have control over what goes on your desktop - mounted volumes, home directory, trash, etc.

Beans

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

You do know that GnomeShell supports icons on the desktop, yes? I use my desktop as sort of an inbox for new stuff until I decide how to file it. In any case, you have control over what goes on your desktop - mounted volumes, home directory, trash, etc.
    By GNOME 3 standards you are doing it wrong. By future Unity (desktop) standards who knows probably the same as the situation with Compiz. Ubuntu was the last big Linux distribution using it and it looks like this will end soon and those little things on the desktop well i doubt Unity or GNOME upstream will not try to reason with us we don't need them and in a way GNOME upstream is already doing this.

Beans
    Distro

By GNOME 3 standards you are doing it wrong. By future Unity (desktop) standards who knows probably the same as the situation with Compiz. Ubuntu was the last big Linux distribution using it and it looks like this will end soon and those little things on the desktop well i doubt Unity or GNOME upstream will not try to reason with us we don't need them and in a way GNOME upstream is already doing this.
    I really don't know what you mean by "doing it wrong". Gnome Shell in fact supports icons on the desktop - you or I can use them any way we want, or not at all. I don't know about Compiz and Unity, and I care even less.

Beans

I really don't know what you mean by "doing it wrong". Gnome Shell in fact supports icons on the desktop - you or I can use them any way we want, or not at all. I don't know about Compiz and Unity, and I care even less.
    I see you tried to reason with me GS is perfect replacement for Files used for rendering desktop. I thought you are talking about Files and ability to turn this feature to ON (default OFF). Anyway this is what i was talking abut yes your reasoning about GS does not have to do much with my reality. Maybe if in the future GS does better job compared to current Files used for desktop support because i am not saying this is not possible or "Unity Future" to achieve this but anybody saying current GS does this better is in denial and probably just hurting GNOME 3 with it's reasoning that does not have to do much with reality.

Beans
    Distro

I see you tried to reason with me GS is perfect replacement for Files used for rendering desktop. I thought you are talking about Files and ability to turn this feature to ON (default OFF). Anyway this is what i was talking abut yes your reasoning about GS does not have to do much with my reality. Maybe if in the future GS does better job compared to current Files used for desktop support because i am not saying this is not possible or "Unity Future" to achieve this but anybody saying current GS does this better is in denial and probably just hurting GNOME 3 with it's reasoning that does not have to do much with reality.
    I'm trying to see where I said that GS was a perfect replacement for Files - Files is part of the Gnome stack, and it can render the desktop. Yes, the default now is to have "file manager handles the desktop" turned off. So, you turn it on. When the Gnome Project makes it impossible to have icons on the desktop, then you'll have a point. That time is not now.

I am unable to make sense of the rest of your comment regarding being in denial and so forth.

Beans

So, you turn it on.
    By GNOME 3 standards you are doing it wrong.

When the Gnome Project makes it impossible to have icons on the desktop, then you'll have a point. That time is not now.
    Yes and no. Yes because ATM you can turn it ON and no because GNOME is the upstream project that tries to remove everything user don't need in their opinion and they did turn this feature to OFF this is clear signal of where this is going.

I am unable to make sense of the rest of your comment regarding being in denial and so forth.
    I don't agree completely. You said it well:

I'm trying to see where I said that GS was a perfect replacement for Files
    It's not in current implementation but the upstream thinks it is and that was my point and it doesn't really help GNOME 3 if we argue they manage to pull it off with GS as something equal or better then Files handling the desktop. But you will say now you never said anything like this and GS in current form does not beat Files handling the desktop and i agree with you 100%.

But enough about this.

Beans

Yes and no. Yes because ATM you can turn it ON and no because GNOME is the upstream project that tries to remove everything user don't need in their opinion and they did turn this feature to OFF this is clear signal of where this is going.
    I don't know why, but I remember this story about a sage and his disciple. One day the disciple was very worried/tensed etc. Guru asked what happened, then the disciple pointed to a dog that is chained at the other side of a nearby river and said how do we escape if that chain brakes and the water in the river drains and if that dog decide to attack us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Once the conference is over, if anyone sees any updates about the rolling release discussion, please post it to this thread (with any appropriate links of course)...
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.JJ View Post
    I don't know why, but I remember this story about a sage and his disciple. One day the disciple was very worried/tensed etc. Guru asked what happened, then the disciple pointed to a dog that is chained at the other side of a nearby river and said how do we escape if that chain brakes and the water in the river drains and if that dog decide to attack us.
    Default is set to OFF an this mean:

1.) GS should do the job equally good or better. Does it? The same story will be with Unity when devs decide they think they can offer better experience on the desktop. It's already done deal on Ubuntu Mobile and Ubuntu TV.
    2.) Sorry but the dog is already over the water! Like the story with Compiz, sure we are still using it on Ubuntu desktop by default but Compiz story is over because the future Unity AFAIK doesn't do Compiz anymore.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Once the conference is over, if anyone sees any updates about the rolling release discussion, please post it to this thread (with any appropriate links of course)...
    Thanks
    Here you can find some coverage of UDS:

http://www.iloveubuntu.net/

http://www.iloveubuntu.net/rolling-r...-discussed-uds

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast