Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    We will see but i hope Ubuntu will still fight hard for desktop market share for years to come and yes for sure do the same in mobile too....
    Looks like Ubuntu development is fighting hard for phones and tablets and smart watches and TV's and who knows what against some pretty fierce leaders. Ubuntu has decided to spend effort elsewhere so we'll see who jumps into the PC vacuum, so far Mint and Mageia are fighting hard for the desktop. I'm mostly on unstable Ubuntu with LTS and Mint and various rescue's for when I/unstable screw up, and occasional Android.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Kind of ironic, yes?

RR may go from "Raring Ringtail" to "Rolling Release".
    That's probably why they picked a name with RR

You see, Raring Ringtail was the "test bed" for Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Many of the devs on the mailing list seemed to think that a rolling release would be better in terms of fixing bugs, because there won't be deadlines, as in the 6 month release cycle, where bug repairs stop shortly before the release date, and many aren't looked at again, even in the next development cycle. This seems to me to be a good thing, as we may finally get some long standing bugs fixed, without the deadline rearing it's ugly head.
    Deadlines can be very useful. People are more productive before deadline, and after there is opposite psychological effect. But also, you can compare progress much better. Rolling release could become "lazy". Idea of monthly release looks much better and are not affecting fixing long standing bugs, because is not some sort of presumption it has to be done in month. It can lead to choose reasonable deadline and try to achieve some results.

But honestly, Ubuntu is "cheap" in making milestones, there is no tendency to try that. And that is main problem and reason of long standing bugs. It would be better (I think) set a milestone and I have at least feeling "somebody is working on that", and it will not be so disappointed if time will run out and milestone will be moved e.g. + 2 months. Now I have feeling that nobody cares and that is much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Couldn't agree more, cariboo907...13.04 has been pretty bug free and updates have mostly been extremely smooth...so i'd say quality control for updates is quite good and should get even better when they aren't under the "6 month development timetable gun"...and, as you said, a better chance of long standing bugs (as well as recent ones) getting fixed instead of forgotten about as they move on to the next version...because there won't be a next version to go on to (as far as rolling is concerned)
    I can agree that I did not notice some critical bugs except installation, but I can accept that. In way of stability, Ubuntu 13.04 is pretty good also as development release. But there are tons of bugs, related to small groups with some common piece of hardware or using same applications / services. And these bugs stagnate pretty bad and can discourage that people from using Ubuntu because of maybe some trivial, stupid "minority" bug.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Looks like Ubuntu development is fighting hard for phones and tablets and smart watches and TV's and who knows what against some pretty fierce leaders. Ubuntu has decided to spend effort elsewhere so we'll see who jumps into the PC vacuum, so far Mint and Mageia are fighting hard for the desktop. I'm mostly on unstable Ubuntu with LTS and Mint and various rescue's for when I/unstable screw up, and occasional Android.
    I agree with "vacuum". I want to have some new features, improvements from system in some time. But I stuck to 12.04 for a year and every time I felt I want upgrade, I persuaded myself not to do that. Why? Because if I wanted to have new Gimp, I added PPA. And for everything else what changed? Not really needed new kernel, worked good, nor new lenses in Unity. With 12.10 and 13.04 I have feeling like "Windows animation changed". And that is nothing at all, I could set up compiz in way I like it. I upgraded because I like Unity and expected some performance upgrades. I stay, because at least has new application without additional repositories and slight improvements.

But this makes me ask: What is really developed by Cannonical? Unity... and what? I cannot guess... I know there is lot of work with maintaining packages, but even if 5 people are working on Unity, progress for 6 months is really poor.

And this are basically reasons why I'm afraid of rolling release. This could be even worse, and as jerrylamos says, Cannonical seems more targeted to mobile platform now.
    Last edited by Budovi; March 4th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Budovi...i doubt if it will be worse with a rolling release...if anything, it should be better because without a specific timetable, they will have more time to make sure things go smoothly...
    deadlines means things get skipped over because specific goals have to be met by certain dates...and that's eliminated with rolling release, freeing them to give better attention to quality control...

I've had less hassles with 13.04 testing then i had either with 12.04 or 12.10 final installed...though i wish that bug in the touchpad settings (where it keeps reverting back to the default if you change the setting) would get fixed...that's a pretty obvious one, and i am surprised it hasn't been caught by them yet (and it seems like i am the only one that filed a bug report on it!)...

But other then that, i am very hopeful they will make 13.04 Raring Ringtail the Rolling Release

Beans
    Distro

I'm not so afraid of rolling release as I am for the hell-bent rush to all things mobile, touch, and gadgety. Canonical is not a huge corporation, and when they embarked on the Unity adventure, I already was worried about them spreading themselves too thin. I really worry about the mobile push...

Beans
    Distro

@craig10x

I can see that deadlines are working very well, at least for me . Actually, it is about setting up reasonable milestone as I said, but I can't see anything like that in Ubuntu development.
    Good point that it could be better (for sure), but maybe it cannot be worse so nothing to loose.

@sgage

I totally agree... you summed up that well...

Beans
    Distro

Exactly...couldn't be worse then now but could be better...i will go as far to say, probably would be better...

Two pertinent quotes from the proposal:

Daily Quality means that developers can ensure their components are stable and useful before they upload, and our processes protect us from most mistakes these days. The result is that 13.04 has been as robust a release over the last many weeks as 12.10 was when we delivered. We have achieved rolling release quality in our development practices, so we can capitalize on this capability now.

For users who prefer more up to date software, the rolling release will truly provide the latest and greatest software that they are looking for, but without the 6 month wait for a new release. Developers won’t be under pressure to rush a feature in before the release deadline,so users will be receiving more complete software when they do get updates.
    Last edited by craig10x; March 4th, 2013 at 07:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Ignota nulla curatio morbi.

Beans

Yes and looking at this specs and deadlines it looks like development cycle is already changed/defined differently. Interesting.

Beans

I basically wont judge but will wait and see. If it will suit my needs great if not i don't know yet what to do. I will decide then.

It is really big and ambitious path but i never underestimated Canonical. Qt is solid toolkit, probably the best ATM, GTK+ 3 apps is said will still be supported, vendors with graphic drivers will have to support Mir and probably Canonical will not give them much reasons not to.

It could work but the competition will be hard for sure and that is a good thing. If Compiz has to be sacrificed at least make it in a way it works where X.org falls short now and about the desktop at least have some mode that offers desktop full of icons because i don't need another GnomeShell and some people try to reason with me having icons on the desktop is BAD thing, it's not.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast