Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Reading Mark's blog...i get the impression that he would prefer ubuntu come out say, about every 2 months or so instead of 6 months, and to make upgrading "bullet proof" (meaning without risk of any breakage) so that you could install ubuntu and keep upgrading that way...getting the rolling distro effect on a bit slower basis, but i guess in his mind, more reliable...

I guess it would work something like this: you install ubuntu 13.04 then do upgrades for: 13.06 then 13.08, etc etc...so no re-installing needed, but getting new versions with updated software, and other stuff...
    in between you'd probably just get essential updates...

And for someone downloading ubuntu initially, you'd find the latest 2 month image on there to download, so you start off current...

Just my guess, as i said...based on the thoughts he expressed about it...
    Sounds like an excellent idea as long as some graphical cards were not obsoleted in the process. ya know .. one day your adaptor is supported , the next , it's not.
    This is not Convergence, This is now Gnome
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Suggestion: Rolling / monthly release. What's going to happen on ubuntu +1 sub-fo

Very true...personally i would still prefer the rolling release on a daily basis...based on seeing how reliable the updates have been on 13.04 testing...

I think Mark doesn't realize how good it is at this point...it's far more reliable then when i was running Linux Mint LMDE which is on debian testing...
    And it would probably get even better, once the 6 month development release was out of the picture...

Beans

I will quote myself:

Things like supporting new hardware on older kernels is something Ubuntu will not solve by itself. This is something kernel folk will need to solve/improve and AFAIK some work on this is being done and this would allow to improve OEM situation.

Things like attracting developers and offering latest Apps to the users is something Ubuntu will have to solve and i think Debian should be helped to the extend possible and not to have to big (FOSS) delta between Debian and Ubuntu and to extend USC with concepts how to get there with ease with your latest FOSS/proprietary apps like whitelisting some PPAs for example to be available in USC and maintained by upstreams or Ubuntu community/staff itself.

Average users (in polls) actually don't care too much LTS vs. rolling they see rolling as something that will give them latest apps and that is it and to be honest to find an app in USC and seeing Canonical does not maintain it and the author on his website recommends using PPA...
    And here is one nice example:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/intel...s-drivers.html

Focus on how to get latest apps in USC because this is what most users want but low level stuff should for now not become "moving target" because if it's stable it allows interested parties to provide better support for Ubuntu! I think the industry is just starting to accept the model Ubuntu has ATM and it would be a shame to drop it and make it harder for interested parties to get involved!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; March 10th, 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro

After reading this article...it sounds to me like the Rolling Release proposal will not be implemented...we may have been gotten all excited for nothing...looks like the only way you can have a rolling release is to do like VinDsl and just keep running testing versions and upgrade to the next testing version...
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mark-...l-335227.shtml

Beans
    Distro

.. and this is dependent on the repositories that are created for the next release. We can't roll into an non-existent repository. In this case that would be SS (Smart Sloth or whatever). So the sources.list will still have to be changed even if they do not have a specific rolling release. That is of course unless they decide to automate the rolling releases across the various form-factors decided upon at that time.

For beta testers like myself and form factor wizards, (like Vin_DSL)lol, we sort of have a heads up on how to do it.. so .. for the noob and client side they would have to eventually automate that upgrade process.

And if this becomes the case then there will be slim-pickings in the iso area of things.

Beans
    Distro

What gets me is why did he (Rick Spencer) bother making the proposal and having the conference discussion include it...he must have known Mark is kind of dead set against the idea because it impacts on the commercial end of ubuntu development...after all, Mark IS the one that has the final say on those kind of things...even if the developers were 100% behind it, it really wouldn't matter, would it?

The result is you get a big "spark up" of excitement and interest from the community, and then comes the "big let down" as it were...

Beans

What gets me is why did he (Rick Spencer) bother making the proposal and having the conference discussion include it...he must have known Mark is kind of dead set against the idea because it impacts on the commercial end of ubuntu development...after all, Mark IS the one that has the final say on those kind of things...even if the developers were 100% behind it, it really wouldn't matter, would it?

The result is you get a big "spark up" of excitement and interest from the community, and then comes the "big let down" as it were...
    I don't see nothing wrong with discussing it openly if something would be worth changing or not. I personally am quite happy Ubuntu didn't become rolling release in traditional sense and for Ubuntu 12.04 to have 5 year support on the desktop for example. I see much value in this but inside USC i would change things towards Firefox model. Latest version of popular software should be there but if we have some software like LibreOffice that has more releases that are supported then ideal would be to have all releases available in USC and this would bring additional value to USC and this is what average user cares about the most. Rolling release would probably take down slightly burden of supporting individual release but would probably bring breakage like proprietary drivers stops working because newer X.org is not yet supporter or why is my bluetooth working only every other month... Probably in the future when some things change we will be able to have this discussion again and who know maybe then it will make sense to change the model but currently i am quite happy development cycle didn't change!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I don't see nothing wrong with discussing it openly if something would be worth changing or not. I personally am quite happy Ubuntu didn't become rolling release in traditional sense and for Ubuntu 12.04 to have 5 year support on the desktop for example. I see much value in this but inside USC i would change things towards Firefox model. Latest version of popular software should be there but if we have some software like LibreOffice that has more releases that are supported then ideal would be to have all releases available in USC and this would bring additional value to USC and this is what average user cares about the most. Rolling release would probably take down slightly burden of supporting individual release but would probably bring breakage like proprietary drivers stops working because newer X.org is not yet supporter or why is my bluetooth working only every other month... Probably in the future when some things change we will be able to have this discussion again and who know maybe then it will make sense to change the model but currently i am quite happy development cycle didn't change!
    Should we call Debuntu or Ubuian

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Should we call Debuntu or Ubuian

Their still married , last I heard?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

From this I get the idea that Rick was put up to it by Mark

This year, the topic bubbled up again, and given the level of interest I supported that the core Canonical engineering team do a deep assessment of what it would actually mean, in hard pro’s and con’s, and how we might implement it, so that a straw man proposal (‘one you can poke holes in’) could be presented.
    It gets the matter out in the open. We can see what the "brains" come up with. And if it does get put through no one can accuse Canonical in being sneaky and secretive and not being interested in the views of the general Ubuntu community.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast