Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Movie Maker alternative in Ubuntu?

Beans

Question Windows Movie Maker alternative in Ubuntu?

Hi

I'm kinda new in Ubuntu. I use it through Wubi (inside Windows7). I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I was looking for an alternative to Windows Movie Maker for Ubuntu. I looked online & found that Cinelerra, kdenLive, Kino performs similarly. I wasn't sure which one would be light, fast. If it's portable then it's even better.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Windows Movie Maker alternative in Ubuntu?

Cinelerra is advanced and feature-rich; not to mention horrendously ugly. Kdenlive is a KDE-based application, and I have heard it is a little crashy. I know nothing of Kino.

I think your best bets at this point are Openshot and PiTiVi. Both seem to be actively developed and maintained, both seem quite capable in terms of features and stability and both are readily available inthe Software Centre
    --
    uc50_ic4more

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by uc50_ic4more View Post
    Cinelerra is advanced and feature-rich; not to mention horrendously ugly. Kdenlive is a KDE-based application, and I have heard it is a little crashy. I know nothing of Kino. I think your best bets at this point are Openshot and PiTiVi. Both seem to be actively developed and maintained, both seem quite capable in terms of features and stability and both are readily available inthe Software Centre
    +1 for Openshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would stay clear of cinelerra, it is not very intuitive. I've had mixed results with all others but they all grew up quite a bit last years. Openshot, pitivi, kd kdenlive just install and try them. They are mostly straight forward.
    We seek to resolve frustration and abide in a comfortable, relaxed mind. We call that 'happiness'. And still I believe in that next upgrade...
    --dell xps m1330 t9300 2.5ghz 4gb 320Gb Nvidia 8400m gs--
    --lenovo w520 2720QM 8Gb Nvidia Quadro 1000

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Besides OpenShot, I would also mention Kino and LiVES.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I had really good luck with pitivi until 12.04. Something to do with them switching to gstreamer.
    I haven't gotten it to work well since as it started to either crash often or render time into infinity.

I have had good luck using Lives. Works well, looks decent.
    And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick: "rational thinking."
    But, when you're good and crazy? Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! The sky is the limit!

Beans

Thanks everyone.

Does Openshot come in portable format? If so, can you give me the link for the portable version?

Thanks.

Beans

ffmpeg

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ppdjoy View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Does Openshot come in portable format? If so, can you give me the link for the portable version?

Thanks.
    What do you mean by portable?

There are two alternatives for Ubuntu:

- Install a versionfrom the repositories that is tested by Canonical to work with Ubuntu. It works, but is not the newest version.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openshot
    - Download an iso-file for a live DVD with the newest stable version from Openshot's web site. It is very likely to work and it has all the new features.

- Download a deb-file with the newest stable version from Openshot's web site (or linked from it). It is very likely to work and it has all the new features, but it may not be updated to the newest Ubuntu versions (above 9.10).

http://www.openshot.org/download/
    Last edited by sudodus; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: above Ubuntu 9.10?

Beans

I meant portable Openshot similar to apps in portableapps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast