Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu for gaming?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Ubuntu for gaming?

It was a big day for me when Paradox, a major game company, released Crusader Kings II for Linux. If they can port their rather complex game engine to Linux, and, if the game sells well, then other companies will have motivation to follow suit. We're already seeing other, non-Humble Bundle games making it to Steam (Champions of Regnum, Beat Hazard Ultra, Kentucky Route Zero, Defender's Quest, Unity of Command, etc.)

With Steam, the forthcoming Steam Box (which runs Linux), the Ouya console (running Android), and the worldwide revulsion at the abomination that is Windows 8 (Microsoft did us a favor!), 2013 is shaping up as The Year of Linux Gaming.

And it's about farking time.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; March 1st, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Everything seems to go the good way as far as it will continue to develop. I have very high hopes it will go on properly and with no major problems. Gamers will hopefully turn to linux, since it can (in my case almost always) give more power and better experience with the same hardware

Beans
    Hidden!

So I take it that Ubuntu on a games console is out of the question?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It depends on what you mean by Ubuntu... The standard desktop probably won't, but considering how closely Valve has been working with Canonical Engineers suggests that their forthcoming Steam console will probably based off of Ubuntu to a degree. But considering that most of what we identify as being Ubuntu is unnecessary to a game console OS, it will probably more closely resemble a stripped down Debian server than Ubuntu. The one thing Ubuntu has going for it that Debian doesn't though is a proper infrastructure for proprietary/commercial software and drivers. Having the the proprietary graphics drivers working and updating reliably is going to be important to Valve, so I suspect they'll either use the actual driver packages included with Ubuntu, or they'll develop a similar system based of of Ubuntu's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What makes you think that Ubuntu running on a games console would be able to play the games made for that console?

The hardware is not important. The operating system is important. Think about it: A PC with Ubuntu is, hardware-wise, identical to a PC running Windows. Yet they don't run the same software.

If the security features of the PS4 can be defeated, and if Microsoft goes for x86 in the next Xbox and its security features can be defeated, I'm sure we'll see Ubuntu on those consoles. What would be the point? You'd still need to reboot to play console games.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

there was indeed a kit released that transformed a PS2 into a working computer running Red Hat Linux with the Windowmaker desktop. The kit came with a hard drive, network adapter, VGA adapter to connect to a monitor, and a keyboard and a mouse. It was a dual boot thing though. Booting into the Linux OS you had no access to actually playing the game disks. The kit was for hobbyists, and it was short-lived. You can still find them every so often on Ebay. but it had little to do with actually gaming in Linux. Ubuntu was still in it's infancy when this product was discontinued.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lisiano View Post
    There is Steam for Linux but I doubt they'll base it on Ubuntu, they might base it directly on Debian instead.
    Considering the fact that Valve actively promotes Ubuntu (as opposed to Debian, Arch Open Suse, Mint, or any of the other Linux distros available) on the Steam web site, it would be neat if you could give some kind of basis for this assertion.
    If you are asking about a problem with your system, make sure to give details about your setup. OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN HELP YOU.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ripps818 View Post
    I believe your thinking of the PS3. The PS2 never came preloaded with Linux (although some clever folks did figured out how to hack Linux onto it). The PS2 didn't have a CELL proscessor, it just had a 64-bit MIPS R5900 CPU.
    Sony released an official Linux for PS2 kit, Linux didn't come Pre-Loaded on the Ps2. You could purchase the kit from Sony, and it included a VGA adapter, a HDD (I believe it was 50gig... Don't quote me on that though.),
    Keyboard/Mouse, and a Linux-based OS on two DVDs. Oh yeah, and the network adapter which you could plug the hard drive into, and, of course, any other IDE drive that you may have laying about. .

EDIT: Seems someone already linked you all to Wikipedia... Darnit Wikipedia.

On another note, I'm really REALLY glad that Linux (and specifically Ubuntu) is getting all of this support in terms of games, specifically. It's almost to the point now where I'd feel comfortable deleting my Wintendo partition. Only a matter of time..
    Last edited by blatz89; March 4th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by thatguruguy View Post
    Considering the fact that Valve actively promotes Ubuntu (as opposed to Debian, Arch Open Suse, Mint, or any of the other Linux distros available) on the Steam web site, it would be neat if you could give some kind of basis for this assertion.
    Just a hunch. Ubuntu as-is on a Steam box wouldn't make sense, no need for most of the stuff that make Ubuntu... Ubuntu.
    I'm assuming the Steam box would (Out-of-the-box) be only able to boot to a login manager (Probably a custom one or a themed one) which would start Steam up in their Big Mode (Or something... That fullscreen mode), since Steam already has a web browser and a chat client integrated, there would be no need for a "Standard *buntu desktop". As such, it would be easier for them to grab Debian Minimal (Or Gentoo) and build the OS from there. Plus, Valve would probably want to use Debian Stable due to a simple fact, they don't want ANY bugs. Ubuntu lives more on the edge while Debian Stable is... Well... Stable.

Also, Valve is probably promoting Ubuntu due to it's popularity and ease of first time use. Would you recommend any person coming from MS or Apple any other OS beside Ubuntu (Or Mint)? Probably not.

EDIT: Ubuntu also has it's quirks if you attempt to install proprietary drivers using the .run files given by GPU vendors, AFAIK, Debian doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans
    Hidden!

Perhaps this is a sign of the beginning for Linux gaming...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast