Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: With 12.10 are we still stuck with the silly unity interface?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: With 12.10 are we still stuck with the silly unity interface?

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post
    It's not the end of the matter. That might help one user, but it still leaves a substandard Unity for everyone else.
    I'm keen to see them fix it so that everyone can enjoy it. And not just those who like using the keyboard for everything.
    Not "everyone" will enjoy it. Not "everyone" likes Windows 7's desktop, or Unity, or Gnome 3, or Gnome 2, or KDE. That's why there are so many different desktops.

Unity works very well and while there aren't any statistics available of how many people use it, it's rapidly growing in popularity as more people come back to it and see its benefits.

It's not just for people who use the keyboard. I only use the keyboard for Unity's dash searching. Everything else I use the mouse.

I like the good integrated search in the dash, the ability to drag and drop files to programs, the consistent indicators and simple notifications, and the way it stays out of the way and gives me maximum screen space. I tried Gnome 3 a while back and it actually felt claustraphobic.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Yes you are right, we'll not get everyone to like it. But I'm interested in seing Unity maturing and opening up to more user types. So my installing another distro would not help there. You may find other distros claustrophobic. And you might find the reason is, it does not suit your type of working. You should not expect to change your behaviour to suit that interface if it is not necessary. We could polarise each user type to a different distro. But that is neither good nor necessary.

Yes there are some people out there who don't like change. But that does not mean that others, who are interested in various desktop environments, cannot raise valid criticisms of Unity. Criticism is how the community works, and moves the distro forward.
    Unity does include a lot of nice improvements and unique benefits. However, one task that is quite important is to be able to quickly see and access the installed applications. The dash and the launcher are the main means to get to applications. The launcher is customisable. But the dash not so. For the Dash, the idea is to use search. There are facilities to navigate and browse with the mouse. But they are quite long winded and slow compared to other desktop environments.

Different user types need different tools. So it's not good to expect mouse users, who perhaps don't memorise the names of all their applications or want to have an 'overview' of what is installed, to suddenly become keyboard type users. Tell a command line guy just to use the mouse and you'd get a similar reaction. The person is not going to change types. The good thing about software is you can adapt it to people, rather than make people have to adapt to methods that do not suit them. Those who are not serious about GUI development, usability and ergonomics, should not think that if they like it, it must be OK for everyone.

There is no major reason why the dash could not be modified to include the more visual type of user in a way that does not negatively affect the keyboard, search or command line type users. Opening Unity up to more people. Other distros manage it even though many think they are not as forward thinking as Unity.

To give you an idea of some of the changes that would help, would be the possibility to add favourite applications or folders directly on to the Dash. Allow direct overview of application groups. EG Graphics or Multimedia. Today you have to do a lot of clicking to get there and get back too. Search does not give you any overview of those groups. Unless you you like to group applications based on their names alphabetically. Which is unlikely to be meaningful.
    It is also not sufficient to place loads of apps, folders or groups of apps on the launcher either. It's is currently not that flexible.
    Last edited by ianp5a; March 6th, 2013 at 02:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As i mentioned in an earlier post here, i look at unity as a shortcuts taskbar...(even though it is actually a dock)...I add all my favorite and frequently used apps on to it (for easy quick 1-click access)...and for those rarely used apps, i just start typing the name in the "dash" (search) to bring those up...plus: i auto hide it of course so it's on there when i need it...

If you look at a slab menu, they usually have a favorites list you can add favorites to, a search (like the dash in unity) without the colorful icons that unity has...and a list of apps (most of which i am not using anyway...so i have to scan through a list to find what i want to hit... (don't get me wrong..slab menu is my 2nd favorite type after unity)...

So, i can't really see how that is so superior to the unity's layout...and the old fashioned gnome 2 way is NO SEARCH at all, just "fanned out" apps so you have to look through a big list of things to find what you want...also, in my view, not superior to the unity lay out...and even worse then the slab menu layout...(i never cared for this type of menu at all)...

This is why i couldn't figure why the original poster called unity "silly"...how are those other two styles any less "silly" (if you are going to use that expression to describe it)
    Last edited by craig10x; March 6th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post
    ... It is also not sufficient to place loads of apps, folders or groups of apps on the launcher either. It's is currently not that flexible.
    Check out Drawers. I've put up a few links here: http://askubuntu.com/a/244114/25656
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I add all my favorite and frequently used apps on to it
    If you mean the launcher, Yes, you are almost forced to add to it. But it also has to serve as a task switcher, where it's not very clear and already crowded when running lots of apps.
    ...and for those rarely used apps, i just start typing the name in
    Yes a good use of search. Like Mint, W7 and Kubuntu.

If you look at a slab menu, they usually have a favorites list you can add favorites to, a search (like the dash in unity) without the colorful icons that unity has...
    Yes. But W7 and Kubuntu are colourful enough. They could be better but they are clear.
    and a list of apps (most of which i am not using anyway..
    Dump them. Your menu is yours! The Dash is the only one you can't customise.

and the old fashioned gnome 2 way is NO SEARCH at all,
    Yes. You could customise it. Not very easily. Pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Check out Drawers. I've put up a few links here: http://askubuntu.com/a/244114/25656
    Thanks. The look good. I'll give it a try. Thanks
    Last edited by ianp5a; March 6th, 2013 at 07:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Drawers looks interesting...interesting comments on my post...very thoughtful!
    Unity has become my favorite...though i also like the slab style menu but really never cared for the old drop down, fan out menu that ubuntu had back in the "gnome 2" days...

After i left windows, i had a brief stint with the mac, before discovering linux, and unity with the global menu kind of reminds me of my mac, so that doesn't hurt either
    Last edited by craig10x; March 6th, 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No one was ever "stuck" with Unity. This is Linux: there are hundreds of distros to choose from, dozens of DEs, and more mods than I can count. Mix and match to have exactly what you want.
    Last edited by rg4w; March 7th, 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

BTW, OP hasn't contributed further to this thread
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    BTW, OP hasn't contributed further to this thread
    Drive-by troll eh?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rg4w View Post
    No one was every "stuck" with Unity. This is Linux: there are hundreds of distros to choose from, dozens of DEs, and more mods than I can count. Mix and match to have exactly what you want.
    Yes there are other distros. However most are not suitable nor non-techies. And others, Like Fedora, which I've just been trying out, are not up to the quality standards of Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Ubuntu software center is very slick for example. The Fedora equivalent is way behind. Ubuntu is to thank for introducing many new people to Linux.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast