Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: With 12.10 are we still stuck with the silly unity interface?

Beans

Re: With 12.10 are we still stuck with the silly unity interface?

Unity is currently the best thing Ubuntu has going for it... if you don't like Unity then try another distro! (coming from a non-Ubuntu user )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Nixarter View Post
    As the thread title says, are we still stuck with the silly Unity interface as default, or is there a release with a real gnome-like desktop interface (that is useful for work, and not just screwing around)?
    My employees love the Unity interface. It works perfectly for work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There's nothing silly about it...it is attractive, simple to use and very intuitive...

Think of it as a "shortcuts taskbar" parked on the left side of the screen which "auto hides" when not needed (actually, it's a dock)...

You put your favorite and most used apps on it for easy, and quick 1-click access and for apps you don't use very often, just open "dash" (button on top...a search function) and start typing the name you are looking for, click it and there it is!

It even has a neat workspace switcher too....

So, i can't figure why you think it's silly...probably because it is a bit different then what you are use to...some just resist any change...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Juniorr View Post
    You can install Gnome if you like, I do that too

My preferred is XFCE but on Ubuntu is just... too ugly, I'd like to be like those ones on openSUSE or Mint, they're the real XFCE... or, that could be some way of installing them but I've never hear of it.

If you'd like to list all DE's avaliable (of course there's more, but the most popular are listed):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/65083...-are-available
    True that. It could do with different default theme for sure. OTOH it seems to work pretty well. Those who felt the Win9X/Win2K desktop was primo will feel at home.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Who says anyone is stuck with anything? Download the distro that feels best for you. End of matter.
    It's not the end of the matter. That might help one user, but it still leaves a substandard Unity for everyone else.
    I'm keen to see them fix it so that everyone can enjoy it. And not just those who like using the keyboard for everything.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post
    It's not the end of the matter. That might help one user, but it still leaves a substandard Unity for everyone else.
    I'm keen to see them fix it so that everyone can enjoy it. And not just those who like using the keyboard for everything.
    Anyone who knows enough to install Ubuntu in the first place likely knows enough to go to the Software Center and download an alternative desktop such as LXDE or Cinnamon. Interestingly, Xfce appears to not be included in the Software Center, it is included in Synaptic. There's no shortage of guides on installing alternative desktops or other components. Should Ubuntu default to a different desktop? I guess you'd need to take that up with Mr. Shuttleworth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post
    Then make constructive suggestions in the appropriate places and perhaps even contribute code to fix what you see as defects. And what do you mean by "everyone else"?
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Unity is here to stay
    Most unfortunately, yes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

for you prodigy perhaps, but not for most of us (the "unfortunately" part of your post)...many of us here like unity...some just don't like something that's different and want things to always be the same,
    while others, more adventurous...which can be very rewarding...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am one of those people that definitely likes Unity.

And that wasn't always the case, when I first moved from Windows to Linux I went with Linux Mint because I could not stand the Unity interface.

Probably because it was completely different from the Windows interface that I was so accustomed to.

At the same time I installed Ubuntu into VirtualBox just to mess around with it from time to time and I found myself liking the Unity interface the more that I used it.

After about a month I decided to switch from Linux Mint to Ubuntu and I could not be happier.

Not only have I come to really like the Unity interface but now I love the fact that it is completely different from the Windows interface.

Some people are resistant to change and that is fine because that is one of the great things about Linux if you don't like the Desktop Environment that it comes with just install one that you do like or go with another *buntu that has the Desktop Environment that you do like.

Thankfully we are not all resistant to change, otherwise we might not be using this Horseless Carriage that we call the Automobile for driving around in today.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast