Thread: Keyboard problems on brand new Bonobo Extreme

Beans

Keyboard problems on brand new Bonobo Extreme

I just received my Bonobo Extreme yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, I've been having terrible keyboard issues where certain keys completely stop working. They occasionally come back but I can't quite replicate what brings them back, even across reboots and restarting X. Among the keys not working or having recurring problems.

TAB, UP-ARROW, t, g, h, j, b, n

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10, driver version 3.2.3. Like I said, this is fresh out of the box. I've run software update, reinstalled System76 driver. Nothing seems to work. It wasn't as bad yesterday but appears to be getting worse.

I will attach the logs.tar file in a follow up comment. I was forced to type this post from another computer since my keyboard is almost unusable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Keyboard problems on brand new Bonobo Extreme

Logs
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

It's no longer intermittent. The keys mentioned above have completely stopped working.

I even went into grub to try and boot to a different kernel and I discovered that the same keys don't work there either. At this point, it looks like a hardware issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shawnduffy View Post
    It's no longer intermittent. The keys mentioned above have completely stopped working.

I even went into grub to try and boot to a different kernel and I discovered that the same keys don't work there either. At this point, it looks like a hardware issue.
    I'd be skeptical that this is a hardware defect. It sounds more like a bug.

Beans

I hope you're right. But I also discovered that the keys do not work in the BIOS set up either. Not good.

I did have them randomly start working for about 5 minutes last night. I didn't do anything special. I was paging through dmesg when I noticed that they started working again. A few minutes later, I lost them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It sounds like the connection from the keyboard to the motherboard came partially loose during shipping. You should go to the System76 site and open a support ticket. They may walk you through making securing the connection, but I would let them decide how to proceed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbelmonte View Post
    It sounds like the connection from the keyboard to the motherboard came partially loose during shipping. You should go to the System76 site and open a support ticket. They may walk you through making securing the connection, but I would let them decide how to proceed.
    Thanks. I have a support ticket open and I'm working with them now.