Thread: Can't get HP P1006 to work with Lubuntu 11.10

Beans

Can't get HP P1006 to work with Lubuntu 11.10

Hello all,

I have Lubuntu 11.10 running on a Dell Latitude D600 laptop. I can't get my HP P1006 Laserjet to work with this computer. P1006 works fine when the D600 is booted to Windows XP and it works fine with my Panasonic CF 29 booted to Xubuntu 12.04.

I can see the printer from the print setup page, and the computer goes through the motions of printing, but nothing happens at the printer. The job remains stuck in the print que until manually deleted. Browsing around, these types of issues appear common with the HP printers.

I have tried the hplip 3.13.2 driver install steps as outlined in a post begun by bung 2 on March 13, 2011. The problem seems to be missing dependencies. Some I was able to install by searching in Synaptic Package manager. The ones I installed no longer show as missing. The ones still missing I can't find in Package Manager. Any suggestions? I intended to attach a screen shot, but either can't figure out how, or don't have sufficient privileges.

Thanks!
    Last edited by sampsonrepair; March 7th, 2013 at 07:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't get HP P1006 to work with Lubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by sampsonrepair View Post
    it works fine with my Panasonic CF 29 booted to Xubuntu 12.04.
    The straightforward solution is to give the Dell a fresh install of 12.04 or 12.10. You have to let go of 11.10 anyway in two months time.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion. It won't run 12.10 (Pentium M, PAE kernel issues.) I might try 12.04. I was going to try updating to 12.04 as my first solution, but came across a lot of information indicating that upgrading might be more trouble than it's worth.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Usually it is. Go for a fresh install.

Xubuntu 12.04 is supported through april 2015.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I'm still working on this. I've now installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the Dell 600. What a nightmare. Had to use the mini ISO because of PAE compatibility issues. Spent over an hour trying to get Unity to function. The computer can't even see the printer now. I'm out of time to research this any further today. Will try again next week.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would guess that Unity is too heavy for the Dell. My choice would be Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Both support non-PAE processors using the standard ISO (12.04)

Beans

Agreed. Unity is too slow. Later on, would not boot at all (black screen). I wanted to try "straight" ubuntu, though. I loaded Xubuntu 12.04 into the Dell and the printing issue is resolved. I can even network print from my other laptop through this computer (what I wanted to happen.) How do I go about marking this issue as "solved?"

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You're welcome.

The 'solved' flag does not work, but there is a workaround: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2121377