Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Linus Torvalds: I will not change Linux to “****-****** Microsoft”

Beans

Re: Linus Torvalds: I will not change Linux to “****-****** Microsoft”

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    All in all this story proves once again that no corporation, be it RedHat, Google or any other, can be a true supporter of Linux and FOSS community. They make money on Linux one way or another, but they care only about money, never about Linux.
    It's so true. It proves greed. I have only seen the word Linux once in the android os which is in the dev options, and very hidden.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    I totally agree. *Anger Issues* *Anger Issues*
    The man writes emails all day, 99.99999% of all emails he writes don't get noticed, it's only because he's taken a particularly hard stance and been vocal about a particular issue that it makes the news.
    // Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Just about everything. It doesn't support booting of modern operating systems on modern-sized disks (ie: >8.5GB), for a start. That's a pretty crucial weakness.

The only reason we've been able to continue using BIOS for so long is because individual vendors have hacked it ruthlessly. That's not a solution that can or should be extended indefinitely, however. There's only so long you can keep adding hacks to coax a broken system into working.

It's way past time for a system designed for modern systems that have things like USB and big disks.

Me neither. Dealing with this kind of thing is a technical issue for OEMs. How often do you delve into BIOS/UEFI really?
    Sorry to tell ya, but I have had an old build with regular BIOS and it loads faster than this stupid UEFI thingamajig that is on my new build. The dumb UEFI has TONS of graphical additions that make it a billion times slower than the BIOS, as well as it braking more. I think that the old BIOS was good because it had been mastered as far as usability and not crashing.
    CrunchBang Linux
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    The man writes emails all day, 99.99999% of all emails he writes don't get noticed, it's only because he's taken a particularly hard stance and been vocal about a particular issue that it makes the news.
    I'm not surprised. I really don't care what he has to say as long as he maintains the kernel.
    CrunchBang Linux

Beans

Oh, just shutup and put the code in the kernel, we're all happier without the hassle of cracking secure boot manually. Face it, the future generation of computers are gonna have w8 or later w/ secure boot. You can say Linus is protecting our freedom but rather just standing up for no reason. Swallow your pride, Torvalds, and I won't have to go back to looking at the "Please Wait..." of W7.
    CrunchBang Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Linux needs to develop ther own own way of of dealing with UFEI Secure Boot Instead of using Microsoft Junk. I have Totally Dumped Windows. Istill have Win 7 But dontr use it though. i will NOT Windows 8 for sure iv seen it & it's pure Junk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

Here's how The Linux Foundation is dealing with it for now-

http://www.zdnet.com/linux-foundatio...ix-7000011084/
    -Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

Devuan, MX Linux, Debian 12 & Slackware 15

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by alien0304 View Post
    Linux needs to develop ther own own way of of dealing with UFEI Secure Boot Instead of using Microsoft Junk. I have Totally Dumped Windows. Istill have Win 7 But dontr use it though. i will NOT Windows 8 for sure iv seen it & it's pure Junk
    How? It's not easy, UEFI + secure boot is a fact on most new motherboards. Without a signed boot loader you can't boot Linux with secure boot enabled. AFAIK Torvalds' alternative for signed modules only applies to systems where you can disable UEFI secure boot. Do you really think Red Hat likes to get their stuff signed by MS?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by alien0304 View Post
    Windows 8 is not all junk. If you install a 3rd party Start menu that bypasses the ModernUI and goes straight to the desktop, it's actually better than Windows 7. Win 8 is faster and more stable than Win7, and it actually has some great updated features in desktop mode. Since I installed the 3rd party Start menu, I don't think I've hardly looked at ModernUI once.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Windows 8 is not all junk. If you install a 3rd party Start menu that bypasses the ModernUI and goes straight to the desktop, it's actually better than Windows 7. Win 8 is faster and more stable than Win7, and it actually has some great updated features in desktop mode. Since I installed the 3rd party Start menu, I don't think I've hardly looked at ModernUI once.
    +1

I tried out all the start menus you get and think Pokki is the best out of the lot.
    http://www.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast