Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linus Torvalds: I will not change Linux to “****-****** Microsoft”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Linus Torvalds: I will not change Linux to “****-****** Microsoft”

IMHO, these rants by Linus are an embarrassment. Can't he express his thoughts without swearing like a drunk sailor? Looks like the man is bored to death, so he writes obscene emails to insult people.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Thusd is the issue, we should not bow down to microsoft, linux is a competitor not a lap dog.
    There should be a antitrust lawsuit here, but it wont happen becase most linux companies including canonical rather pay blood money then stand up for linuxes right to exist.
    Microsoft has beaten worse anti-trust raps than this UEFI business. They would do it again with no problem.

UEFI is in many respects an improvement on BIOS. The issues with the "secure boot" aspect are from Microsoft having undue influence with OEM's, and I agree with Mr. Torvalds that the linux community should not "play ball" with Microsoft on this.

Hack it, dismantle it, flash it, recode it, or build it yourself, whatever it takes to make your hardware work. THAT is what the linux community has always been doing.. not saying "please let me" to microsoft.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

And that is the issue here, really we should be fighting this not catering to the whims of one of the most anti competitive companies of all time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I sat through Matt Garrett's thoughful presentation: The Secure Boot Journey. There will be a video posted soon, but the slides are available:

https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale...e-boot-journey

It's a complex issue. Generally useful technology, but not helpful to have Microsoft hold and issue the keys.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

The conspiratorial side of me says that they are trying to stop linux from being installed easily. But then the rational side of me comes into play. Even if a user buys a windows pc and installs linux Microsoft still technically made money off that sale. So preventing a user from installing linux helps windows how? Most people who want to use linux will find a work around and those who would never touch Linux with a 10 foot pole feel a little bit more secure (even if not much)
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    So preventing a user from installing linux helps windows how?
    Well in my case, after dual booting for a while, realized I didn't need MS
    products at all. Last purchased Microsoft OS was XP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

he could have expressed himself more politely. but he is right.

it is also the problem of Linux distributions (the major ones particluary) that they do not want to sign or to take this upon themselves. then again it might have something to do with costs or something. i wouldn't know that far.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    IMHO, these rants by Linus are an embarrassment. Can't he express his thoughts without swearing like a drunk sailor? Looks like the man is bored to death, so he writes obscene emails to insult people.
    Agreed. NVidia f- you! was refreshing. Now it's just boorish. Perhaps he's preparing for a future career as an after-dinner speaker.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rokkross View Post
    the existence of a security feature
    Please stop spreading misinformation. So-called "Secure Boot" has nothing to do with security. It's a just a marketing name for a vendor lock-in attempt Microsoft tries to muscle using its monopoly position. And UEFI is merely a tool MS has chosen to facilitate the attempt. UEFI itself has no real advantage over BIOS and comes with a host of issues (from plain bugs to limiting end user's control over their PC).
    Last edited by prodigy_; February 27th, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nikonian View Post
    Maybe the Linux community needs to wake up and realise that, whether "good or bad"(?), the mainstream use Macs and Windows PCs - the machine manufacturers main objective is not to market platforms for tinkerers and geeks; their main objective is to create uniform, consistent and predicable products for the masses, who just want prolific and easily installable software to work with little, if any fuss at all. Do you think the "average" user knows about, let alone cares about a bootloader, any more than the average customer in "PC World" or "Target" care about what code created their video drivers? Of course not.

Linux is amazing, but lest we forget, Mac OS X and Windows are dominant, and Linux is a long way off from becoming anything near a competitive threat to Apple or Microsoft - I'm sorry if that is not what you wanted to hear as Linux lovers, but them's the hard facts. iPhone users don't generally install Linux or Android on their iPhones, because it is nigh-on impossible, but do the majority of owners care? Of course not.
    Not true. More and more ordinary users are using systems like Ubuntu and Mint and technical skills are becoming increasingly mainstreamed. The estimated 2% world market share still impacts Microsoft's bottom line. 2% is a lot on a global scale and in the context of declining desktop computing margins, every penny counts.

You're right though in the sense that it's probably more a case of collateral damage to Linux, which Microsoft and the OEMs who run after them don't care about, rather than a conspiracy as such.

However, if Linux users had no commercial value why would AMD bother to make drivers?

The fact is we know now we don't need Microsoft to do amazing productive things with computers. If we can just get this message across to more people, we can oblige Microsoft to cut their prices and everyone will be better off for it.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast