There is following hardware setup which operates under Windows XP since 2004 pretty well.
The plan is to migrate the system to 32Bits Ubuntu till April 2014.
As soon as a Ubuntu machine it will be used for quite normal desktop jobs: web surfing, mail communication, simple office, normal multimedia, voip.
User has low computer knowledge - so the used applications and system usage will be accordantly.
System setup is:
* Pentium 4 Northwood S478 2.8GHz, FSB533, without multi-threating
* Mainboard Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe, Dual-Channel RAM slots, SIS655TX the NB, SIS964 the SB
* Graphic card in AGP slot: Asus 128MB RAM
* 2x1GB DDR PC333 Kingston ValueRAM
The questions are
1. If to have in focus just only the system performance (it means let's ignore the financial aspects) will it be beneficial to upgrade the setup to 4GB RAM - it means two dual-channel 2GB RAM population? As the background I mean the overhead drawn by PAE.
2. Starting from 2GB how much must be the upgrade to overcome the
PAE overhead and to get a perceptible boost in performance?
3. From the perspective of stability and performance trade-off will it be better to run the RAM in 166MHz, or in the 133MHz mode?