Thread: LightDM for ubuntu mini

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LightDM for ubuntu mini

I have my Ubuntu mini set up with X and everything but i would like to install a login manager and prefer to use LightDM and have it look at feel like the ubuntu login manager, i like it alot but i cant seem to find anything on it after googling around for a bit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: LightDM for ubuntu mini

Did you already give LXDE a try?

It is extremely fast-performing and energy-saving. It's maintained by an international community of developers and it comes with a beautiful interface, multi-language support, standard keyboard short cuts and additional features like tabbed file browsing.
    It uses less CPU and less RAM than other environments and can be installed on many Linux distributions including Debian, Fedora, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu. It is the standard for Knoppix and Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

not so much looking for a DE thats light weight more so looking to add a login manager to my ubuntu mini so i dont have to log in via console. mean i can just install lightdm but kinda want it to look like the ubuntu login that all

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Elitenoname View Post
    not so much looking for a DE thats light weight more so looking to add a login manager to my ubuntu mini so i dont have to log in via console. mean i can just install lightdm but kinda want it to look like the ubuntu login that all
    Sorry, completely misunderstood you.

From the Official Ubuntu Documentation:
    Login managers
    Login managers will assist in choosing a graphical environment and will not require the user to start x.org to get into the window manager.
    It's important to note that it's not necessary to use a login manager. If you're willing to log in at the command line and start X manually, you can save yourself a lot of system resources -- and the time it takes to load them. That can be a more appealing option on older machines.
    GDM

GDM is the Ubuntu default for a login manager. However, GDM has a reputation of being a heavyweight, and on a system that needs as little bulk as possible, you might find it to be a burden. If you've got a decent system, install it using:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdm
    KDM
    KDM is another manager, but has the same heavy reputation as GDM.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kdm
    XDM
    XDM is the login manager for straight X, and while less beautiful than GDM or KDM, it can perform in the same role without fuss.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xdm
    SLiM
    SLiM is a simple login manager. It just works as expected.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install slim
    If the LANG environment variable is not correctly set, see bug #234474.
    LXDM
    LXDM is a light simple login manager designed to fit with LXDE, available in repos from Lucid (10.04) onwards.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxdm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

it is completely fine and thanks for that i saw that but Ubuntu doesn't use the GDM anymore if i am reading it right it uses LightDM but they have their own "theme" if you want to call it that and just wondering how i go about configuring it, mean Slim is very nice and i do like that but was just wanting to try something new

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Elitenoname View Post
    ...i would like to install a login manager and prefer to use LightDM and have it look at feel like the ubuntu login manager...
    That would be "lightdm", obviously, plus "unity-greeter", but depending on your actual current setup, the latter might pull in too many dependencies. Alternatively, you could just install "lightdm-gtk-greeter", or any other of the "*greeter" packages, whatever fits best your current setup/taste.

Regards.