Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - wifi issue

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - wifi issue

Hi,

I have recently installed ubuntu 12.04 LTS in my laptop. Everything looks cool, i am pretty much happy with it. But i have a minor regarding wifi and wired connection.

Ubuntu is unable to find the wireless or wired connections which are available. I have searched and found to try with the below command,

Code:
    rfkill list all
    Output of this command doesn't give me any detail about wifi, it states about the bluetooth device only. Can anyone please help me here?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - wifi issue

All,

I have found the solution for the network issue here,

http://somethingcomputers.blogspot.i...untu-1204.html

But the problem is, i don't have proper roles to execute the steps mentioned above in the link. Please find the output below,

Code:
    vel@vel-Satellite-C850:~/vel-home/compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p$ 
    vel@vel-Satellite-C850:~/vel-home/compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p$ scripts/driver-select alx
    bash: scripts/driver-select: Permission denied
    vel@vel-Satellite-C850:~/vel-home/compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p$ sudo scripts/driver-select alx
    sudo: scripts/driver-select: command not found
    vel@vel-Satellite-C850:~/vel-home/compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p$ make
    /bin/sh: 1: cannot create /home/vel/vel-home/compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p/.config: Permission denied
    make: *** [.compat_autoconf_compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p] Error 2
    vel@vel-Satellite-C850:~/vel-home/compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p$
    Please help.

Beans
    Hidden!

The directions you linked to have a small error. Adding the ./ in front of scripts/driver-select alx is necessary to tell ubuntu that you want it to execute a command from the current directory, not from the default path.

Code:
    cd compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p
    ./scripts/driver-select alx 
    sudo make 
    sudo make install 
    sudo modprobe alx

The first permission denied error was probably because ubuntu didn't know what you meant by scripts/driver-select

The second one was probably because you forgot to run the command as root (using sudo).

If you ARE running a command as root, and still get a permission denied error, then there's usually something else going on. In theory, root has permission to do (almost) anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squigish View Post
    The directions you linked to have a small error. Adding the ./ in front of scripts/driver-select alx is necessary to tell ubuntu that you want it to execute a command from the current directory, not from the default path.

Code:
    cd compat-wireless-2012-02-28-p
    ./scripts/driver-select alx 
    sudo make 
    sudo make install 
    sudo modprobe alx

The first permission denied error was probably because ubuntu didn't know what you meant by scripts/driver-select

The second one was probably because you forgot to run the command as root (using sudo).

If you ARE running a command as root, and still get a permission denied error, then there's usually something else going on. In theory, root has permission to do (almost) anything.
    Hi,

I have even installed it using root user, but still wifi is not enabled and not even shown in the hardware list. Please advice.

Beans

Which driver should i download from the below available list?

http://linuxwireless.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/