Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: one ubuntu .. but multiple computers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Beans
    6

    one ubuntu .. but multiple computers

    so i have ubuntu installed in my Usb drive!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    it's not a live usb .. it's installed in th usb drive like if it was installed in my hard drive -
    so my usb contain 3 partition / /home and swap

    -----------------------------------------
    i want to use it in my Laptop, but also be able to use it on my Desktop and other computers ! Is it a problem to run one copy of Ubuntu on multiple hardware? to be specific i want to make compiz extra effect work .. so i need the appropriate graphic card driver of each hardware installed in this usb drive ! how can i solve this ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    India
    Beans
    8,149
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: one ubuntu .. but multiple computers

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuore gang View Post
    i want to make compiz extra effect work .. so i need the appropriate graphic card driver of each hardware installed in this usb drive ! how can i solve this ?
    This maybe a problem ^^, otherwise it's fine.

    With native kernel drivers you should be able to boot a large variety of hardware. But once a proprietary graphics driver is installed, it will almost certainly cause resolution and hardware acceleration issues on all other different graphic cards.

    Although you should always be able to boot in safe graphics mode (failsafeX in recovery menu) if the proprietary driver causes booting problems with some hardware.

    Also, this behaviour is same for both a full installation and a live persistent one.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: one ubuntu .. but multiple computers

    You have found the problem: If you install proprietary drivers, typically for graphics and wifi, it will not be portable to computers with other kinds of hardware.

    You get a long way with the built-in drivers with the current Ubuntu versions 12.04 LTS and 12.10.

    I would recommend a flavour with a lighter desktop environment (than standard Ubuntu's Unity)

    - Xubuntu with the light-weight XFCE or
    - Lubuntu with the ultra light-weight LXDE

    for portable systems partly because of the limits set by the built-in drivers with some graphics chips, and partly because of the limits set by the USB 2 interface. USB 3 or eSATA are much faster.
    Last edited by sudodus; February 26th, 2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: ninja'd by varunendra

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: one ubuntu .. but multiple computers

    Best not to install proprietary graphics. I boot my flash drive without issue on two different systems.

    I did save these links, but never tried any of these methods. Now also getting older so I do not know if they still work.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714456
    Boot using recovery mode & 'Reconfigure graphics' or
    Create Portable Ubuntu for 2 different Video Cards - script
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8107778
    There is a application named switchconf that lets you choose between xorg.conf files at boot.
    http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/200...on-switchconf/
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lynne Valley, BC
    Beans
    2,819
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: one ubuntu .. but multiple computers

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Best not to install proprietary graphics. I boot my flash drive without issue on two different systems.

    I did save these links, but never tried any of these methods. Now also getting older so I do not know if they still work.

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714456
    Boot using recovery mode & 'Reconfigure graphics' or
    Create Portable Ubuntu for 2 different Video Cards - script
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8107778
    There is a application named switchconf that lets you choose between xorg.conf files at boot.
    http://meandubuntu.wordpress.com/200...on-switchconf/
    Since about 10.04 or so, video drivers are loaded prior to running xorg.conf.

    Thus switchconf no longer works for video drivers.

    Switchconf was ok for choosing between generic and Nvidia or between generic and ATI.

    Switchconf would not let you choose between Nvidia and ATI as Nvidia and ATI drivers can not be installed at the same time.

    I'm not sure if proprietary drivers are still required to make Compiz work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: one ubuntu .. but multiple computers

    Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    ...
    I'm not sure if proprietary drivers are still required to make Compiz work.
    Compiz works without any proprietary drivers in Knoppix 7. It even runs well in my IBM Thinkpad T42 with an old Pentium M.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    India
    Beans
    8,149
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: one ubuntu .. but multiple computers

    Compiz effects will work as long as a driver can provide 3d hardware accelaration. It does not necessarily have to be a proprietary driver.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •