Thread: [SOLVED] Kernel update installation and video drivers

Hybrid View

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Kernel update installation and video drivers

[Relevant specifications: Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin, Acer Aspire 5520, Nvidia GeForce 7000M/nForce 610M, Nvidia driver 302.07]

When I first started running Ubuntu a month ago, the video was screwed up (low resolution, console mode illegible). I eventually attempted to remedy this by installing the Nvidia drivers, and was successful. About ten days ago, I followed the Software Update recommendations to install the kernel updates, and the video broke (low resolution, Unity mode illegible). I was able to reinstall the Nvidia drivers (with some difficulty this time), and now the video is good again.

I am being offered another kernel update, and of course I am reluctant to install it. I only recently found out about the Nouveau drivers that apparently come with Ubuntu.

So my question is: Is there a reliable way to update the kernel as recommended without screwing up the video?
    Last edited by Garrigus Carraig; March 6th, 2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: To mark as solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Kernel update installation and video drivers

If you install the nvidia driver manually you will need to do so each time there is a kernel update.
    But for me, using the nvidia-current from the sources, it all seems fine and they update in sync
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Thanks, Carl. I downloaded the drivers, reviewed the installation procedure, held my breath, and updated the kernel. And my video was unaffected. So I didn't need to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    But for me, using the nvidia-current from the sources, it all seems fine and they update in sync
    I guess I don't know what you mean by "using the nvidia-current from the sources". Care to expand on that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Open up Software Sources and in the last tab you will find Additional Drivers, there you can mark that you want to use the nvidia-current drivers. Turning on proprietary drivers this way, ensures your system will make sure you have the latest available drivers (As in, the latest nvidia-current) as well as making sure it is preserved between kernel updates.
    You may also do this by issuing the following
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    OR by clicking here

EDIT: WARNING
    Make sure you have also installed linux-headers-generic!!! If you don't the driver might fail to install. There has been a bug once 12.10 was released that prevented it from being automatically installed (Older Ubuntu versions are not affected). Not sure if it was fixed.
    Last edited by Lisiano; February 27th, 2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    "Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program."

Beans

Got it. Thanks, Lisiano!

Beans

Umm... how do you mark a thread [SOLVED]? I can't find it under Thread Tools. Maybe it was moved in the redesign?