Thread: Getting Canon IP4300 to Work Under 10.04

Beans

Getting Canon IP4300 to Work Under 10.04

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 now, and decided to get my printer working so that I can print out a UPS shipping label. Normally I would send this to my wife, have her print it, and that would be it. But her hard drive failed, and I am waiting for a new one to arrive. So time to get my Canon IP4300 working with my laptop.

Trouble is, I don't have a Printers option under Administrator, just Printing, and when I bring that up, it just lists Other/Network Printer and asks for a URL. It does not show any printers or brand names in the left column, so nothing to choose from.

I've searched these forums and got 50 returns, but nothing to help. I've used Google to search elsewhere, but again no help. One post did relate to a link to a site in Australia, but the link goes nowhere now.

I just don't have it in my head as to what has to be done here to get it working. While I wait for some help, I'm going to track down the USB cable and make sure it is routed correctly.

And some help would be appreciated.

Oh, I got broke in on a couple of months back, heard a noise and called out from a different room, and they paniced and left. Had to be a couple of teenagers. But with the way things are going, I expect more of the same in the future, and next time hope to be better prepared.

Trouble is, stupid government politicians want to take arms away from honest citizens and leave them in the hands of criminals. They can't seem to learn from experience of use their noggins to see the obvious for themselves.

Beans

Re: Getting Canon IP4300 to Work Under 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by oldefoxx View Post
    I am using Ubuntu 10.04 now, and decided to get my printer working so that I can print out a UPS shipping label. Normally I would send this to my wife, have her print it, and that would be it. But her hard drive failed, and I am waiting for a new one to arrive. So time to get my Canon IP4300 working with my laptop.

Trouble is, I don't have a Printers option under Administrator, just Printing, and when I bring that up, it just lists Other/Network Printer and asks for a URL. It does not show any printers or brand names in the left column, so nothing to choose from.

I've searched these forums and got 50 returns, but nothing to help. I've used Google to search elsewhere, but again no help. One post did relate to a link to a site in Australia, but the link goes nowhere now.

I just don't have it in my head as to what has to be done here to get it working. While I wait for some help, I'm going to track down the USB cable and make sure it is routed correctly.

And some help would be appreciated.

Oh, I got broke in on a couple of months back, heard a noise and called out from a different room, and they paniced and left. Had to be a couple of teenagers. But with the way things are going, I expect more of the same in the future, and next time hope to be better prepared.

Trouble is, stupid government politicians want to take arms away from honest citizens and leave them in the hands of criminals. They can't seem to learn from experience of use their noggins to see the obvious for themselves.
    I have been playing with cups and a canon printer lately. But that's on ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10. I am in no way a expert on this subject but here's my thoughts anyways

If your not having much luck you may want to try installing cups
    $ sudo apt-get -y install cups

after installing cups you should be able to configure the printer through your web browser. there should be many tutorials on installing this on the google.

There's also a package of additional drivers if cups doesn't install with the one you need.

$ sudo apt-get install printer-driver-gutenprint

heres a tutorial i found for installing cups
    https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/cups.html

Beans

I think you need the printer drivers that Canon supply; for the ip4300

so if I aim to describe what to do:

Canon supply two packages for each printer:

1) what they call a COMMON package

and

2) a SPECIFIC package for each printer.....in your case the ip4300series

.....for this older printer, Canon don't supply a .deb package, which ubuntu uses..........so one needs to download the rpm package they offer and convert it to deb with alien and then install

so one goes to the Canon Asia website...

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P..._os&g_os=Linux

and you download the common package first

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/c...900718403.html

(it comes down as cnijfilter-common-2.70-1.i386.rpm)

and then one goes here

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/c...900719301.html

for the specific package (which is cnijfilter-ip4300-2.70-2.i386.rpm)

.....if you copy and paste all the commands in red into a terminal............I use the menu line of the terminal ..........

so then you need to download and install alien

sudo apt-get install alien
    as described here in more detail

http://www.debianadmin.com/install-r...nd-ubuntu.html (it is a very legit programme)

and then on to the conversion

cd Downloads
    sudo alien -i cnijfilter-common-2.70-1.i386.rpm
    and then install the ip4300 driver

sudo alien -i cnijfilter-ip4300-2.70-2.i386.rpm
    ......that should have the drivers installed.....all should be good

if you paste this

http://localhost:631/printers/

into a browser window, it lets you alter printer settings etc

let us know how you get along
    Last edited by pdc; February 28th, 2013 at 02:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

First I would begin with a clean install of 12.10. 10.04 is running out of time.

Please discuss weapons legislation in another forum.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.