Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Ubuntu so good at just... working?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why is Ubuntu so good at just... working?

Ubuntu only works until.....it doesn't and then you actually have to put your thinking cap on. In some ways its really great for new users since most things work out of the box and hardware detection is great. You could thank the Canonical software engineers for this great feat.

The negative however is that the default user probably doesn't have a clue of what's going on behind the scenes and then gets frustrated really easily when things don't work. This wouldn't be an issue for example if they had set their system up in the first place with more of a manual rather than automatic method.

A big difference in the various distributions other than desktops or window managers and stable vs cutting edge packages, is how much "hand holding" they do for new users. Ubuntu and Mint are two very popular distributions that attempt to do most things automatically. Gentoo on the other hand does nothing -- everything has to be configured manually.

In my opinion,once your fairly comfortable with Ubuntu, its always a good idea if you have another computer laying around or with use of VmWare, to try other distributions. I recently installed Arch on a spare laptop someone gave to me -- it was a used 4 year-old laptop a big corporation thought had no more use. Arch really doesn't offer me anything more or less than Ubuntu, but I've really grown in my knowledge of Linux in general about troubleshooting problems, since Arch requires a lot of user interaction and configuration during installation. It's actually helped me learn Ubuntu a lot better in terms of troubleshooting various problems and with kernel tweaking.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Ubuntu only works until.....it doesn't and then you actually have to put your thinking cap on.
    Been there, done that. Most of the time the problem was due to a third party drive/kernel module (thanks RocketRaid!), or a messed up conf file (thanks Match directive in sshd_config).
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Ubuntu is so good at just working because for the longest time the linux development community has been more worried about making a technically sound product than making it user friendly. Well once all the technical loose ends are worked out someone else (Canonical) comes along and makes a few minor tweaks here and there to make it more friendly to newcomers and voila. All the really hard work was already done long before Canonical decided to get in the game. They just decided that they where going to add a layer of polish to make it easier for newcomers.
    Last edited by mamamia88; February 26th, 2013 at 06:43 AM.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Ubuntu is so good at just working because for the longest time the linux development community has been more worried about making a technically sound product than making it user friendly. Well once all the technical loose ends are worked out someone else (Canonical) comes along and makes a few minor tweaks here and there to make it more friendly to newcomers and voila. All the really hard work was already done long before Canonical decided to get in the game. They just decided that they where going to add a layer of polish to make it easier for newcomers.
    This, pretty much. What Canonical did was valuable and brought to focus the need for usability, but the "Just Works" part is probably more due to GNU, Linux, and various other open source projects. Personally, every distribution in my experience has "Just Worked" these days.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Most people have no interest in learning how software really works. Nor should they. One of the reasons for the success of Ubuntu is Canonical's recognition of that. Ditto Windows and Apple. People will happily trade openness and flexibility for usefulness and reliability. We have about 30 years of personal computing history buttressing that assertion.

While having the skills and knowledge needed to successfully set up something like Arch or Slackware is useful, I don't think it has much purpose beyond that. I spent several years with Slackware, and I've used Arch. But, it's now very much a Been There, Done That, Don't Wanna Do It Again thing for me. I have more pressing and more interesting ways to spend my time than building custom kernels, tweaking init scripts, or chasing down the segfaults.

I used to spend hours, if not days, tweaking my system just to get it to work. Patch the kernel, chase down shaky drivers, etc. Not any more.

The vast majority of users will never have any reason or desire to have a clue what's going on beneath their GUI. They expect, correctly and justifiably, that their software works, period.

Typically, things suddenly "don't work" when users install software that isn't meant to be used on their specific system or is sloppily and amateurishly designed and developed. Open source is still afflicted with too many of the latter, packages developed and released by hobbyist coders who take little or no action to ensure their software runs on anything other than a machine identical to their machine. It's a tradeoff for the freedom to do whatever you wish.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by James_the_dude View Post
    Hah! At this point I'm about ready to believe that it's magic and robots. Maybe even magical robots. ^_-
    *magical kitten robots
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Why is Ubuntu so good at just... working?

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    Personally, every distribution in my experience has "Just Worked" these days.
    MIne as well. In my nine years as a Linux user,I've only hit one bad apple and a couple of disappointments.
    Linspire,my first distro, was wonderful,as was basic Mepis,Fedora and all the Ubuntu based distros.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This "handholding" seems to be done really well.

Back when I first tried linux probably 6+ years ago it was a pain. A friend of mine recommended I try kubuntu because he heard me complaining about vista on my then-new laptop. Wifi, video, sound, even my touchpad all didn't work right or didn't work at all.

Now when I pop in that xubuntu stick and hit install, I have a fully functional operating system in about an hour.

It has gotten to the point where things like hardware recognition work even better than in windows. At least for me. And I would like to stress the point that my current laptop was originally a windows 7 laptop.

When I did a clean windows 7 install because I needed to use SolidWorks, the touchpad was messed up, the wifi didn't work, the video was not properly supported. Even after downloading the drivers from asus and installing them certain things were still buggy. In the end I had spent at least 8 hours, and I had a more buggy, sluggish OS blemishing part of my hard drive. Whats worse is that when I called Asus and said "I am installing windows. This is my laptop model and serial #. You have different versions of drivers available, what ones do I want, or how do I figure out what I want?" The response was "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... let me ask my supervisor........................... I know not how to fix that. Uhhmm... you can send it in for repair?"

I'd like to stress the fact though that I didn't start this thread just to vent some fanboyism, and say "ubuntu rocks everything else sucks." I hope I haven't given that impression. All the other serious flavors have their merit and I really wish I did know enough about this stuff that I could just pop in debian (or something) and configure it so that everything works. I really really am just curious as to why it is so much easier with ubuntu, and I guess that question has been answered. More developers, non-foss software, popularity, and goal of being functional even for the non-savvy average user.
    Last edited by James_the_dude; February 26th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
    "Never mind how it works! How do we get rid of it?"
    - Capt. Jack Harkness (Torchwood)

Beans

I think (and my knowledge is limited) that since Ubuntu (Canonical) relies on donations and such, they have to crank out a good reliable product. They cant rely on people's proprietary needs to get money (dual-booters know what I mean).

Oh and about "when ubuntu breaks":

When Ubuntu doesnt want to work, its a chance to learn and to fix. (granted there are always exceptions, but they are rare)

But remember when Windows doesnt want to work, its alot of get-nowhere research, a phone call, sitting for hours on hold while microsoft tries to find someone who knows what they're doing, having to install something that you may have to pay for or getting some weird work-around that leaves you thinking "they could have designed that easier". You then decide to do more research and. . . the gates of heaven open up as you discover the Ubuntu webpage and see the phrase "It's free and it always will be".

But thats just my opinion

Beans

Yeah - also had a headache with drivers reinstalling Windows without the recovery partition. I think everyone should have to do this at least once. Then they would understand how we get a very good deal with Linux.

As for Slackware and Arch teaching you about Linux: maybe that's true. On the other hand, I don't see why working your way from cover to cover of an Ubuntu, Fedora or OpenSUSE manual wouldn't also teach you a lot about Linux.

My big fear with Arch is screw-ups/vulnerabilities that I can't see. I can tell if I've not configured sound or wireless correctly because these are easy to check but other more internal aspects, how would I know? I'll wait a couple of years first... while my Gentoo kernel compiles :-/

PS. I do want to learn Slackware and Gentoo but I'm really not ready for them yet. Just like I'm not ready for FreeBSD. I'm almost ready for Arch but something in me says "no, proceed straight to Slackware/Gentoo".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast