Thread: Install issue

Beans

Question Install issue

So I put in the new HD into my laptop, after the old one kicked the bucket, and turned it on, with the Ubuntu CD in. It does some stuff and then the screen goes black, in both the regular install or limited graphics options. Everything worked before the HD died on me, so I'm not sure why they screen is not working. Occasionally, it will flash and show the desktop, but then back to black. You can see all that in the video, from turned on to it staying black.

Ideas on what's going on and how to fix it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71_9E...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by secuono; February 26th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

Beans

Re: Install issue

Everything is there, if I wait about a minute and press any button, the screen shows, then back to black and I can keep repeating that. I don't know why the screen is staying black, though...
    =(

I;m guessing something with the graphics, idk. It's all loaded and there, just hidden behind a black cloth that I cannot remove...probably the best way to describe it...
    Last edited by secuono; February 26th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Beans

Well, trying with the newest version of Ubuntu, the mini.iso, since the regular one is way too big for standard CDs.
    At the wireless network section. Hopefully, there won't be any black screens now.

Oh, the changing brightness idea didn't work.

Nope, internet isn't working....
    Last edited by secuono; February 26th, 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Beans

I can't get the internet to work, so how else do I install? CDs are all too small, idk if I have a usb free to use that nor if my laptop can do that...

Oh, no, wait. It's working now that the Ethernet cable is plugged in. Wonder if wireless will work later on...
    Last edited by secuono; February 26th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.

Beans

Well, it's done installing, told me to take the cd out. So i did and it restarted, screen came up with some options and chose the ubuntu start one. Now its a black screen, just sitting there...

ugh...

Ok, so now it's all in text...which I don't understand. It asks for my username then password.
    Now what do i do, where is the common 'windows-like' graphics?

Put in the older 7.0 version cd again and plugged in a monitor. I can see what's going on now, no idea if it will work w/o the other monitor once it installs the older version....

No, failure when upgrading to 10.04...ugh!!
    I'm trying the 12 cd again, if it fails, i'm going to just go back to 7.10 which works while all the other versions seem to suck...
    Last edited by secuono; February 27th, 2013 at 03:14 AM.