Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Update manager issues

So it should. Now, run
    Code:
    update-manager

Beans

I launched update-manager again from the terminal (after using your sudo command) and it locks up even earlier now. It is stuck on "applying changes". I'll cancel out and see where it goes.

It just goes back to update manager. All of the 5 downloads are still "downloaded but not installed" as before.

Thanks for trying!

donaldt

Beans

Hello again

I finally got editing access to the file and hashed out the 3 ppa lines, as suggested by Matt. I then tried [sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade] I got this from terminal:

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
    donald@donald-Aspire-3810T:~$

Is this because I am using part of the resource it is looking for? I'm still stumped and unable to use update manager.

Thanks!

donaldt

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Code:
    /var/lib/apt/lists/lock
    That is because dpkg is running and has a lock on the file. A reboot is the easiest way to fix it.

Code:
    sudo sed -i -e '/google/s/^deb/# deb/' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
    Code:
    gksudo update-manager
    Post back any terminal output from the last command.

The only other thing i can suggest is running an strace on update manager when yu have updates.

Code:
    sudo strace -o ~/tmp.txt update-manager
    The above command will run update-manager. Run update manager as normal up to when it hangs. kill update manager.

The above command will produce a file in your home directory called tmp.txt.

Code:
    tail -n500 ~/tmp.txt > tmp2.txt
    This will get the last 500 line.

Code:
    zip update-mgr tmp2.txt
    This will create a file called update-mgr.zip.

Post the zip file here.

Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 7th, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans

Good morning,

Back at trying to cure update manager.

I got nothing back in terminal from your command: gksudo update-manager

I found 5 new updates on update manager and so I ran this command: sudo strace -o ~/tmp.txt update-manager

Update manager started and ran to the end of this line: /tmp/tmppuf4gs (end)

I tried 3 commands to kill it but none of the 3 worked. It is still sitting on my desk top, but now that I have finished this message I will do a re-start and will expect update manager to retain the 5 updates when we re-start.

I hope this is clear and will be of some help. If not, let me know if I need to clarify.

donaldt

Beans

OK, back from re-boot. Update Manager now shows 7 updates available. Harking back to my original problem, I believe I can still go to terminal and use this command: [sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade]

This is how I was able to use update manager for the past 6 months before I started down this path to fix the program. If I run this first, update manager will still have all the original updates listed as available; and clicking on update will install them without any problem.

I believe I should now try this once again and see if that still works. Is there any reason doing so would be a problem for continued trouble shooting?

Thanks!

donaldt

Beans

OK, all of the changes we have made have not killed the ability to make update manager work via terminal. This command: [sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade] run in terminal does something (all I have to do is choose "yes" to continue) that allows update manager to work as it should. I don't know what that is, but it works.

First, I ran the terminal program and after closing it down, opened update manager and it completed a total of 12 updates flawlessly and without hesitation and now my computer is once again, officially, up to date on all downloads.

I don't know if this helps, but that is where we are.

donaldt

Beans

Friday morning,

Today there were more new updates to install. I ran update manager with your command (sudo trace) and it ran. It stopped in the middle and once again it would not die with the two commands, so here is what it shows in terminal:

donald@donald-Aspire-3810T:~$ sudo strace -o ~/tmp.txt update-manager
    [sudo] password for donald:
    Home directory /home/donald not ours.
    sudo killall update-manager
    sudo kill $(pgrep update-manager)

I'll try to copy where we are in update manager and post that if I can, then will do a re-boot to get rid of update manager.

Tried but can't copy the update manager screen. Going down with re-boot.

donaldt

Beans

Anyone still willing to help with my update manager issues? I had a lot of ideas passed along earlier, but they seem to have dried up. Would still appreciate any help from any source.

Thanks!

donaldt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks like some permission problem with your /home directory
    Post the results of this command.
    Code:
    ls -l
    But I have never seen that error before.
    Seems unusual, Have you used chmod or chown on any of your home or system directories?
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast