Thread: Need a lot of help

Hybrid View

Beans

Need a lot of help

I have installed Ubuntu. Took forever to do the updates. But now it works.

However, what a mess. This UNITY interface is no good for me. I cannot even find the Terminal. Is there some skin a la Zorin or Mint Mate with a proper toolbar where I can pin applications and folders and a proper start menu where one finds things. I would be grateful for advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Need a lot of help

a proper start menu where one finds things
    ubuntu icon/WIN key is your friend
    btw, press and hold WIN key to see main shortcuts supported by unity

I cannot even find the Terminal
    ctrl+alt+t
    WIN/ubuntu icon, 'terminal'

a proper toolbar where I can pin applications and folders
    you can pin stuff in the taskbar: run app, right click its icon in taskbar, pin.

either way, if you don't like unity you can install other desktop environments right from the official repo: kde, xfce, lxde, ... whatever floats your boat.
    if your question is answered, mark the thread as [SOLVED]. Thx.
    To post code or command output, use [code] tags.
    Check your bash script here // BashFAQ // BashPitfalls

Beans

You can install xfce or kde, but gnome3 cocks up the system so that you will have problems with those. It will be better to do a fresh install with Xubuntu. The default Ubuntu is strictly for masochists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can install the mate Desktop. Look HERE for install directions. It is pretty simple, just a few terminal commands.

You can also install another desktop like: cinnamon, Gnome 3, KDE, XFCE, or LXDE.

Hope that helps.

-Pierce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This UNITY interface is no good for me. I cannot even find the Terminal. Is there some skin a la Zorin or Mint Mate with a proper toolbar where I can pin applications and folders and a proper start menu where one finds things.
    Please take a look at this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

A useable desktop is not very far away (in time spent) from your present set-up.

Beans

Thanks guys. This is all very helpful. I will now 'experiment' with the suggestions. Since I run in VMware, I do not run a big risk. I copy my VMware folder for backup before things can go south.

Beans

Hi guys, Just a little update.

I found Terminal and was able to install my VMware Tools. This is essential for me so that I can move stuff into Ubuntu from my Windows 7 host.

I tried the Win+Ubuntu Start button. That brought up some random stuff which was pretty useless.

What I still did not find are 'Preferences' and 'Administration'. Where are they.

I have not yet embarqued into other skins. There seem to be some risks and I am also not skilled emought to really do it. I may try Xubuntu though.

Another question: How do I get this so called 'Taskbar' from the top to the bottom and how can I make it larger and pin things to it.

All this was very simple in Zorin with which I had no problems at all - see here: http://www.sevenforums.com/chillout-...ml#post2275421

Also, FireFox is very slow (it is lightning fast in Zorin). I had already noticed that a couple of years ago when I made my first experiments with Ubuntu. Is there a reason? I am downloading Chromium now which is usually fast - we'll see.
    Last edited by whs37; February 26th, 2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: addition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can help with a few things..

If you liked what Ubuntu had to offer before Unity, just get the older desktop environments, such as GNOME2. XFCE is another good choice for more lightweight resource-usage. If you're after real lightweight yet beautiful DE's I recommend giving Enligtenment (E17) a look. I am using it with Ubuntu Studio and produces more efficient results than XFCE! It's also very customizable.

If your applications are slow from the very start, give "preload" a try

Code:
     sudo apt-get install preload
    or get it from synaptic or the software center

Code:
     sudo synaptic
    Code:
     sudo software-center
    in case you can't get it up as with the terminal issue you had.

Preload basically lets your most frequent appplications start faster, hehe. Always helps with a good quick start on the things you want to do. Give Opera a try if Firefox is generally slow, as Opera I find is somewhat faster.. Konqueror is also another option which is in the repositories, ready to be installed if I recall correctly!

Beans

Thanks for your Input. Not everything is slow - just FF. Chromium is a lot faster and behaves as you would expect. The preload is an idea, but it would probably lengthen the boot time.

I will toy around a bit more with Ubuntu but I don't think it is really worth persuing. This Unity is too odd and I like my systems to work 'out of the box'. Tweaking and twisting is not my style.

Too bad I had so much trouble with the VMware tools in Mint Mate. That looked like a nice system that I would like. Fortunately I still have my Zorin which runs well and does everything I want. Else I have 2xVista, 4xWindows 7 and 1xWindows 8 plus a tablet with Android. So there is no lack of systems.