Thread: Ubuntu is more quiet than Windows.

Beans

Unhappy Ubuntu is more quiet than Windows.

I am trying out Ubuntu 12.10 64bit and I noticed that I have to slide the volume bar very far.

I don't have speaker, just headphones (headphones don't have volume control), and in Windows I only used two volume levels. For movies and TV shows I set it to 25%, and for everything else I set it to 10%.

But now in Ubuntu its much higher, not only do I not know the volume level right now (I must guess visually), but it tends to be higher. For everyday tasks it looks to be around 30%, and while watching movies around 50%.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu is more quiet than Windows.

First thing is
    Ubuntu is not windows
    So don't expect it to be the same

The sound mixer will just need some getting familiar with. But control will depend on the Master Volume setting and then the volume slider setting for (in your case) the headphones.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Hidden!

Personally I don't see what the problem is? Most likely your master volume is lower than is was in Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you click on the sound icon up on the panel, there should be a sound setting button area thingy, click on it and it'll open up the sound programmy thing. (sound is part of system setting;ie, gnome-control-center-unity, but programmy thing is easier to say)
    From there you should be able to tell what the sound level is at and whether or not you can set headphones (amplified or non amplified).
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Some music players, such as Clementine allow you to boost the player volume even higher - boost the volume of the player, than boost the volume of the player.

You might want to try it.

Beans
    Distro

The drivers in Ubuntu are not the same as the drivers in Windows. Don't be surprised if the volume is a bit different.

You may be able to get more volume by turning up the PCM channel in Alsamixer (type "alsamixer" into the terminal). Just don't put the PCM channel above 90% or you will probably get distortion.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu is more quiet than Windows.

Thanks for the feedback.

Beans
    Distro

type "alsamixer" into a terminal and make sure the master volume is all the way up too

It's normally what you set it up as anyway, but just to be sure... had a run-in with a strange sound issue not syncing about a year ago somehow, fixed it by maxing out alsa and un-muting the microphone...
    When your entire life is measured in one moment, you change the concept of time.