Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows OEM disk loaded on VirtualBox

Hybrid View

Beans

Windows OEM disk loaded on VirtualBox

Has anyone been able to get XP to run on VirtualBox from a Windows OEM disk like a dell?

I bought one from http://www.softwareslashers.com/Wind...essional-W-SP3 and when it is time to boot it, it just reads the CD for a time, then just sits there, nothing ever comes to the screen.

I have an already licensed version of XP that installs fine in 30 day evaluation mode that I tested VirtualBox with, so I doubt it's VirtualBox and suspect the CD, but who knows?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Windows OEM disk loaded on VirtualBox

Moved to Other OS Talk, as this isn't an Ubuntu question

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    ...this isn't an Ubuntu question
    I suspect OP was asking an Ubuntu question: namely, how to install XP into an Ubuntu hosted VM.

@OP

According to MS, installing an OEM issued OS into a VM violates their licensing terms. A Dell OEM XP-SP3 disk will search the mobo for a Dell vendor code and if it does not find one, it's DRM will kick in and bork the install. SP1 and SP2 will install, but tell you that you are running an unlicensed copy of XP and refuse to activate. SP3 will not even install.

I happen to think that this is a completely idiotic policy, but then, that's why I run Linux in the first place. I am not permitted to tell you what workarounds exist, but it's no secret that Google will. You will have to decide on your own if any further attempts on your part violate MS's license.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I suspect OP was asking an Ubuntu question: namely, how to install XP into an Ubuntu hosted VM.

@OP

According to MS, installing an OEM issued OS into a VM violates their licensing terms. A Dell OEM XP-SP3 disk will search the mobo for a Dell vendor code and if it does not find one, it's DRM will kick in and bork the install. SP1 and SP2 will install, but tell you that you are running an unlicensed copy of XP and refuse to activate. SP3 will not even install.

I happen to think that this is a completely idiotic policy, but then, that's why I run Linux in the first place. I am not permitted to tell you what workarounds exist, but it's no secret that Google will. You will have to decide on your own if any further attempts on your part violate MS's license.
    IANAL The Windows XP license terms are silent on the subject of running an OEM version of XP in a virtual machine on the same computer, instead of running it directly on the hardwre. The Windows Vista and Windows 7 terms explicitly allow it. The Windows 8 terms explicitly forbid it. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal...s/default.aspx. Software licenses are legal contracts, so the first step is to actually read the license rather than blindly clicking “I agree”. The next step is to actually read the relevant copyright legislation in your jurisdiction since it may give you rights not in the license. Asking Microsoft will likely only give one their position on the contract in a non binding fashion. If one needs legal advice then one needs to talk to a lawyer.

Now for the technical part. I have done this with Windows 7 Pro with an HP OEM disk. It installed correctly but entered into a 3 day failed activation state. One has to manually change the key to the key provided on the sticker on the computer and reactivate and then it activates fine. This is because large OEM Windows XP/Vista/7 disks come with a pre-activated key that is tied to the OEM bios. This key is not the key provided to the end user on the computer. I have not tried this with XP but I suspect the behaviour will be the same. It will install but require reactivation with the key on the computer.

One final note with running Windows XP/Vista/7 in a virtual machine under VirtualBox. Do not activate until after the guest additions are installed and one has finalized the parameters of the virtual machine, since changing the virtual machine or installing the guest additions is a hardware change as far as Windows is concerned and may trigger reactivation.
    Last edited by Dr. C; February 27th, 2013 at 06:33 AM.

Beans

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } DuckHook,

Thanks, I just don't think MS's ISO is bootable, it launches fine from a running XP, but won't boot there either. But still, I may be able to boot VM using the XP sp1 (I need at least sp2) I've been using to test VirtualBox, then use that XP to to launch MS's ISO, but I couldn't determine if it was XP pro when I downloaded it.

This has to get done, I can't abandon 25 years of work I did using MS apps, I also refused to be abused by them anymore, I will get this figured out, one way or the other.

I may ask the VM BIOS question on the VM sub-forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Two tips:

After creating a virtual HDD run the bios script.
    If you to do it after installing, XP will not activate

AFAIR you can point to an .iso file from within VirtualBox, it saves burning a disc
    The little icon to the right of the disc select thingy. (sorry, no VBox on this machine)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Curbie View Post
    P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } DuckHook,

Thanks, I just don't think MS's ISO is bootable, it launches fine from a running XP, but won't boot there either. But still, I may be able to boot VM using the XP sp1 (I need at least sp2) I've been using to test VirtualBox, then use that XP to to launch MS's ISO, but I couldn't determine if it was XP pro when I downloaded it.

This has to get done, I can't abandon 25 years of work I did using MS apps, I also refused to be abused by them anymore, I will get this figured out, one way or the other.

I may ask the VM BIOS question on the VM sub-forum.

The only disc that came with this laptop is a multi language HP Restore disc. It has no serial numbers on it and the sticker on the laptop is for Vista Business edition. I bought it especially because it was a "downgrade"from Vista. (the serial does not work for XP)

AFAIR I used nlite to slipstream SP3 into the disc and just keep the iso on an external drive.

I spent days getting it to work and mostly use Windows for Sketchup.

I impressed the hell out of a windows nerdy friend when I span the compiz cube with XP running fullscreen on one face and movies etc. on the other three.
    It was worth the time and effort just to see his face

Beans

My recollection is that Dell XP Pro disks are locked to the BIOS and will only work on a hard disk install to a Dell machine. On my Dells, I've always had to download a disk image (ISO) file to install XP in VirtualBox. The good news is that the key should work if you torrent the correct XP version.

In the interest of covering my posterior, using an OEM disk on a computer it was not originally licensed to is a violation of the XP EULA. Installing from a downloaded ISO instead of the original disk is also a violation.

There is also some risk to using torrent downloads. However, I've used ISO torrents without incident in the past.

Mods, if I've violated forum rules please delete this post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have windows xp installed in virtualbox. I used my technet account (im a microsoft professional) to download the xp .iso. Runs fine.

Beans

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Hi Duckhook,

I'm stilling trying to implement the single boot xUbuntu with XP running on VirtualBox suggestion that many made on the thread about my XP to Ubuntu transition, if the site I bought that CD from was a scam selling pirated CD, I got scammed.

I'm just trying to make transition to xUbuntu, I thought I was buying legal software because so many sites were selling the same thing (a Dell OEM XP-SP3 disk).

Do you have a link for XP pro software that is't a scam and does work with VirtualBox or what I'd type into google for that work around?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast