Thread: Browser error Epiphany not working

Beans

Browser error Epiphany not working

I am still trying to fnd my feet with Ubuntu.

Epiphany is a lightweight (is it or was it the default ) browser but it is not working. I do not see options for troubleshooting and fixing it.

I have Google Chrome and various versions of Firefox installed and working. Epiphany has worked previously on this machine. For some reason it does now not work everything gives an error of:
    Oops! It was not possible to show this website

Errors like

The website at http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 seems to be unavailable. The precise error was:
    Cannot resolve proxy hostname ()

Anyone have ideas ?

Using Ubuntu 12.04 on a 64 bit AMD laptop
    Last edited by aka-John99; March 2nd, 2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Re: Browser error Epiphany not working

Bump !

Is anyone able to offer advice, or say what further information you may require in order to provide suggestions please.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I don't use Epiphany, but if your other browsers are working and Epiphany is not, then you have narrowed the problem down to Epiphany itself. Furthermore, if you get a proxy error, then it is logical to look at whether Epiphany settings somehow flipped to expecting a proxy. If you are not connecting through a proxy, navigate into Epiphany's settings and turn proxy off. If you are using a proxy, then navigate to the same settings and type in the proper proxy values.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

I do not see any option relating to proxy settings. Epiphany is only there as an aditional browser, mainly just in case the others do not work and I am not familiar with the use and setup options. It seems to only have two menus.
    1. a cog icon. This is mainly edit and new tab options
    2. a Web menu on the top task bar or what ever it is called
      • this includes a Help option, and opens an offline Gnome Epiphany Manual. I have attempted to look through that but do not see any mention of proxy settings.
      • and preferences, that has four tabs: General,Fonts & Style, Privacy & Language. Again no mention of proxy.

I do wonder if the menu sytem may be broken. For instance the manual says
    "Epiphany stores your cookies and passwords in the Personal Data Manager which can be accessed by choosing EditPersonal Data."
    I do not see any edit meu.

Maybe I should just give up on Epiphany & try something else like

Beans

Based on what I've read, Epiphany (or Web) "works best" with GNOME. You haven't mentioned your desktop environment. My understanding is that Epiphany relies a lot on features available in a complete GNOME environment. While Unity does have some GNOME components, it's possible that something more is needed.

I've played a while with Epiphany and Midori in the past but couldn't quite adjust to their minimalism.

Beans

Ok then I guess that may be the problem, even though it has run in the past. DE is Unity and usually the 2D verson.

Any method of checking depedancies,or would simply reinstalling possibly help.

Beans

Epiphany / Web
    I have now discovered this confirmed but unasigned bug

Midori
    I had hoped that would work, and found something suggesting it is or was supported by Unity "Web-browser Midori Adds Unity Support and Neat ‘Next Page’ Feature," http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/08/m...ds-speed-style but that gives a similar error message to Epiphany