Back to fixing your Pan login, then.
...to get Seahorse, the wrapper GUI app that manages passwords and keys.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install seahorse
2. Find and open Seahorse. It will not be called Seahorse in your system menu, but "passwords and keys".
3. Under passwords, there should now be two keyrings: one called Login, the other called default. If no default, then we must create one. If exists, then does Pan Newsreader show up on right side pane?
4. If not, File>New> and choose "Stored Password"
5. In resulting dialogue box, make sure Keyring is "default", description is "Pan Newsreader" and Password is your password. Double check and if everything is correct, click "Add".
6. Close all windows. Logout/login.
Post back with results.